I.M. New York

The Importance of the Environment

A letter about how climate change is affecting the environment

Dear President of the United States,

I am just now learning about how climate change is destroying the natural homes for many animals. I am sad to think that this is our fault because what we are doing to the environment is not good. When I learned that the polar ice caps are melting and the ocean levels are rising, I got scared because I come from the Dominican Republic, which is surrounded by water. There are a lot of people who live in villages by the beach and they will lose their homes. It is so important that you address the problem of climate change because our earth and the animals’ homes are disappearing.

An enormous glacier in the Antarctic named Thwaites is melting quickly. One of the main reason why the Thwaites is melting quickly is because of the high temperatures on the earth causing warm waters deep in the sea. This has a lot of people concerned about the ice melting because it can put people and animals in a lot of danger, like getting themselves killed or losing their home. Coal, oil, gas, and deforestation are another impact on the global temperatures causing it to go up by 2 degrees Fahrenheit since the 1800s. The Arctic is warming faster than anywhere else, they are seeing huge decreases in the sea ice so less food for the polar bears which is driving them out of the native habitat to the front doors of people living in Alaska. This is bad for polar bears because they are not meant to spend long periods of time on land, but hungry polar bears have become a symbol of climate change. Not only that, they also represent a real danger to the people living in Alaska, because the more that humans and bears interact, the greater chance that someone or some bear will get hurt as the animals stay longer and get hungrier.

If we ignore this problem, it’s going to keep getting worse. People are going to get hurt or killed by animals that have lost their habitat. And animals are getting killed by people too. The planet earth is our and if we do not take action soon we will not have a place to live I request you, Dear President, to please pay attention and help to solve this big problem.

I.M

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.