Andrew M. New York

Immigration Should be allowed

Many people from different continents com here for a new life.

Illegal immigrants should be allowed to be citizens.

Dear Next President/Mr.Trump,

Congratulations on your big victory. This was a hard battle and you were victorious in the election. I would like to write to you about a topic that I am very interested in. I want to discuss immigration in the US. I believe illegal immigrants should be allowed to become US citizens.

Illegal immigrants are important to our economy. According to a report by the Pew Research Center, there are over 11 million illegal immigrants living in the US. That is almost 4% of the US population. 90% of the illegal immigrants working are paying Social Security tax, property tax, sales tax. Illegal immigrants help the economy because they give taxes to the government. They also help the economy because they buy stuff. According to an article in The Hill website, 70% of people working in US agriculture are illegal immigrants. If we deport all of them, there will not be enough people working to put food in the grocery stores. This was found in http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/ .

About 66% of adult illegal aliens in 2014 have also been in the US for at least ten years. They have families and children going to school trying to improve their lives. Some of the children of illegal aliens may be born in the US. We should not deport them because they have already lived most of their lives in the US.

Making illegal immigrants citizens will also allow us to know who they are. Right now, we do not know who the illegal immigrants are. Making them citizens will make them feel like they belong in the US.

From the Declaration of Independence , it said ”We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”. People should have the same rights as other people. People want to live in the US because there might be a war and it is dangerous to live there. They may want to escape poverty and they may be trying to improve their lives for themselves and their family. This is important because we want to be fair to be everybody as long as they are not criminals and obey the laws. My mother was an immigrant and she came from China. If she did not come to the US, I would not be here now. This was from: http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

This is an important issue because it is not fair to deport illegal immigrants that are already here. They are paying taxes, helping the economy and obeying the law. We should have a process to allow illegal immigrants to become citizens. Can you change your stance of making Mexicans be deported? Do not make this another war. Can you reply back to me as soon as possible about how you feel about making illegal immigrants citizens?

Andrew Mui

2016

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.