Fritzlyne New York

Undocumented Immigrants should stay in the US

Undocumented immigrants should keep staying in the US, just as Obama have to give visas to immigrants and waiting for their citizenship. I believe that the next president should go along with Obama's idea if they want the country to keep developing with new discoveries.

I care about immigrants that come to the US just like me to find the better opportunity that they couldn’t find in their countries. As an immigrant living in the US, I’ve grown to see discrimination against immigrants every day through the life I’ve lived in the US. In middle school, my first time in school, I almost got jumped by a group of people that didn’t like me, my color, or my background, but thank god, there was an ally that reported it to my teacher. From that day, I was terrified. And I’ve noticed that all immigrants should be protected in the US documented or undocumented. 

But during this presidential election, immigrants became a great issue in every debate. One thing I’ve heard is that “all undocumented immigrants will be sent home.” I wonder why? I’ve wondered, what have they done? The next president needs to know that all immigrants are not the same, they just want a better life just like everybody. Undocumented immigrants should be able to stay in the USA until they have the opportunity to get their papers because sometimes immigrants bring different skills and talent to the U.S. that Americans are a lack of. I wonder why there are so many stereotypes about immigrants, why they say all black people are criminals, all Mexicans are rapists, drug dealers, murderers. I wonder why the country is called the United States if there are so many discriminations and stereotypes that are separating us apart. I want you, the next President of the United States, to give undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship because they have helped the country become the powerful place it is today.

What did the immigrant farmers do so badly to be treated as low lifes and not human beings? According to Jill Colvin of the Associated Press, “The program began with 750 government officers. They used jeeps, trucks, buses and airplanes to find the farm workers. The officers caught 3,000 people a day. They caught about 170,000 during the program's first three months.” 1950s historians mostly describe this as the ugliest moment in America’s past, where all immigrants farmers not only the Mexicans but all immigrants all were being chased out of the country in a brutal way. I believe that the program was basically created to chase out all immigrants in the US as much as possible.

The US have improved the skill of immigrants and bringing more immigrants with the states for work and, I wonder why they are deporting just because they are trying to live in the place they have worked. According to Kate Hunter of Bloomberg News, “President Barack Obama allowed more tech workers to come in 2014. They can work here for almost three years.” President Obama has considered that immigrants are important for the country, because of their skills. Businesses in the U.S. are lacking people to do their job so giving his approval to hire immigrants from another country is a good partnership to increase the U.S. economy with the help of immigration.

According to Katie Hunter of Bloomberg News, “There are many kinds of visas. Some are for technology workers. Others are for farmworkers or actors.” One other reason why we should let the undocumented immigrants stay in the U.S. is because according to data by Katie Hunter of Bloomberg News, “U.S. businesses say they need foreign workers. They say there are not enough Americans to fill all the jobs.”

U.S. businesses have said they are in need of immigrants. Why can’t you, the next president, agree with the idea of bringing undocumented immigrant to work here? It won't hurt the government too much but it will be a great benefit to the country itself. Give visas to immigrant workers and the government can make a deal with those people and give them their paper while waiting in the U.S.

Fritzlyne Eliassaint

References

Hunter, K. (n.d.). Issue Overview: Skilled immigrants. Retrieved from https://newsela.com/articles/overview-skilled-immigrants/id/20892/

Colvin, J. (2015, November 22). Trump touts program with dark history as deportation model. Retrieved from https://newsela.com/articles/trump-immigration/id/13005/

Hunter, K. (n.d.). Issue Overview: Immigration reform. Retrieved from https://newsela.com/articles/overview-immigration-reform/id/18816/

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.