Shannon L. California

Dear Future

A letter on our population

Congratulations on getting elected. May you bring prosperity and peace to the country, and not the foreshadowed doom that is continuously spoken of, with immigration being a major issue currently at hand. As of 2016, the United States has been seeing decreasing birthrates and population decline, a problem that may affect the next generation of citizens and taxpayers. Immigration has kept us out of the dreaded Stage 5 DTM ( Demographic Transition Model) by supporting the American workforce with taxes, but with new anti-immigration policies, this flow of immigrants may soon dwindle. Taxes from a solid and supporting workforce is what funds federal expenditures and social security, and with a shrinking workforce, America would soon face the problem of empty social security accounts. Taxpayers now are supporting the elderly, but once they hit retirement, there may be no funds left for them despite the lifelong taxation. We need immigrants to power the workforce, without them the United States cannot support itself. They are not stealing our jobs, they are providing for our futures with tax revenue. Immigration, rather than being numerically regulated, should be more open. By inviting the world into our borders, America is not only supporting itself, it is improving the globalization of its economy and politics, creating a more diverse work platform that can continue to dominate finance and trade. 

Santa Clara High School

11th graders in AP English Language SCHS

11th grade students in AP English Language at SCHS