O.K. New York

The Problem of Income Inequality

Income Inequality is a big issue that many people face, especially the poor.

Dear President of the United States,

Today, I am writing you this letter to share you my opinions about the problem of all low-class workers. First of all, accept my warm congratulations on your victory and my best wishes for your presidency. Income inequality is a big issue in US that you need to address right away because right now the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. The Founding Fathers wanted equality in the U.S. but our income inequality now is causing great conflict in the country.

According to the CIA World Factbook “the United States ranks 43rd out of 144 countries listed in order of unequal family income.” This quote shows us how our country income is unfairly distributed which would be a big impact for the immigrant, who mostly occupy the low class. This issue affecting immigrants would decrease the U.S. economy. 

On the other hand it is very unfair that the rich pay less money than they make, otherwise not paying taxes. According to the Newsela article "Income Inequality," “Wealthy people pay a lower proportion of their incomes in taxes to the government than they used to.” This means that rich people are getting richer, and poor people still being poor which is not fair in a country called a democracy. With all the power you have today, we demand you to think deeper on this issue, which many people struggle through. Think about us, we the students who want to go to college and study a career that we like, how would we finish four-year college if the people who contribute a lot in our college finance have a low income, how they would participate in our budget. According to Clinton who said, “raise taxes on the wealthy to fund programs targeted at the middle class, such as tuition-free college, paid family leave and infrastructure projects to rise inequality problem.” I see this as a great idea, I think that would help a lot of people in the low class to save money and grow their economy. This concept should be a solution and apply for the development of U.S. I hope it would be done.

Therefore it is clear that the US needs to solve the income equality problem. It is so important that you, the next President, take action on this right away because a lot of people are struggling with this issue especially the poor, the immigrants.

O.K.

References

Issue Overview: Income inequality. Retrieved November 03, 2016, from https://newsela.com/articles/overview-income-inequality/id/21221/

Porter, E. (2016). The Case for More Government and Higher Taxes. Retrieved November 03, 2016, from http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/business/economy/rethinking-the-role-of-government-in-society.html

Policy Prescriptions: Trump and Clinton on economic growth. (n.d.). Retrieved November 03, 2016, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/policy-prescriptions-trump-and-clinton-on-economic-growth/2016/10/25/9572d052-9a84-11e6-b552-b1f85e484086_story.html

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.