Cassidy Oklahoma

Letter to the Next President

I don’t think that illegal immigration is always okay, but sometimes there’s a need to flee from where they are coming from. I think that there should be exceptions for people that have real reasons for them to need to leave from where they are from. If there is a disaster from where they are from then they should be able to come to the United States for safety, then go back when everything has calmed down. If you’re a parent and want to send your kids over to the United States, for a better education or a better life, you should be able to come with them if they are under the age of 18.

Illegal immigrants should have some rights in the United States, but they should be required to become a legal citizen within their first year being here, and if they don’t do that then should be deported out. Illegal immigrants children shouldn’t have to worry about your parents getting sent back, they should be working on getting their citizenship, but they still shouldn’t have to leave their children. They should have the right to come to the United States if they are willing to take the test to become legal citizen.

A website says, “There were 11.1 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2014.” which means there is only more immigrants now that it's 2016, we shouldn't allow that many illegal immigrants, they should be working to become a legal citizen and not just living in the United States without paying taxes. The number of unauthorized immigrants from nations other than Mexico have massively increased since 2009. California, Texas, New York, Florida, New Jersey, and Illinois are the states that encounter most of the immigrants, mostly because they're all on a coast and easiest to get to.

The number of babies born to illegal immigrants has been declining, there was 330,000 babies born to illegal immigrants in 2009, and about 275,000 babies in 2014. I think illegal immigrants are understanding that they should become a legal citizen before having a baby in the United States, while they're undocumented. I don't think their children should be legal just because they were born in the United States, if the parents aren't legal then the child shouldn't be either. The number of unauthorized immigrants has stayed around 11.1 million since 2009. Obama did deport around 414,000 illegal immigrants, that doesn't even put a dent in the 11 million that there is, the ones that aren't trying to become legal citizens should be deported. Trump stated, “at least 2 million … criminal aliens now inside our country.”, if they are criminals and illegal, they should not be allowed to live in the United States. 690,000 out of 820,000 were convicted of serious crimes, which is crazy, if you've committed serious crimes, then you should most definitely deport them out, they don't deserve to be in the United States. The government will never really know how many illegal immigrants are in the United States, there could be way more than we think there is. They could be blending in with everyday normal people.

President Obama didn't do enough with doing anything with the illegal immigrants, he should've deported more than he did, especially if they are criminals. I think, the president should take care of the criminal immigrants and then go to the illegal immigrants that are just living here. Most of the illegal immigrants in the United States are Mexican. The number of immigrants caught trying to enter the U.S. illegally has dropped 53 percent. The number of Americans on food stamps is up 36 percent, which means the United States is running out of jobs for Americans, who were born here, and were raised here. The illegal immigrants population needs to decrease so there is more open jobs for the American citizens. The economy did add 10 million more jobs, which seems like a lot, but it's really not, since there's so many illegal immigrants and Americans in the United States, the jobs fill up quickly.

There is no reliable count of illegal immigration, we will never truly know how many there really are. We don't know how many there are because, they are obviously trying to avoid being found. The amount of people on United States Border Patrol should increase, so it's not as easy for them to get into the United States. Obama said, "Illegal immigration and the crime rate are as low as they’ve been in decades.", which I don't know if it's entirely true, and neither does he, because the illegal immigrants stay on the down low while they are here and don't get caught. So no one really knows how many there are. Illegal immigration has definitely increased in the past two years, at least 550,000 have entered the United States in the two years. It's like it's a new trend to come to the United States illegally, the number of immigrants will keep on increasing if no one stops them. Legal immigration is also increasing, which is way better than illegal because they actually want to be a citizen and are willing to pay taxes. Illegal immigration has somewhat stabilized since the end of the Great Recession. More than half of the illegal immigration are Mexican, they're just at 52%, it's easier for them to get here since Mexico is right by the United States. There are at least 5.8 million Mexican illegal immigrants in the United States, it has declined half a million since 2009. There was a lot of different things happening with illegal immigration between 2009 and 2014. The illegal immigrants that are here in the United States have been here for 10 or more years. Nothing is going to change with the illegal immigration if no one gets serious about it.

Cassidy

Guthrie High School

Guthrie High School Seniors!

Senior Class of 2017 GHS!