Gavin L. Pennsylvania

A Common Sense Immigration Plan for America

I want to start by saying it is an honor to be able to write to you on such an important issue. What might that issue be, you ask? Well you see, I am writing this letter addressing the topic of immigration into this country. Here in America, immigration has always been a tough issue, with some saying we should just open up and let immigrants in while others are saying we should completely close the borders for the time being. That being said, I have decided to propose a different, yet much more common sense alternative. Mr./Ms. President, I am wondering what you think about an intent-based immigration plan. Now, when I say an intent-based immigration plan, what I mean specifically is an immigration plan that allows people to apply for citizenship and enter this country based on intent. What this plan consists of is a strong border that is able to keep immigrants from entering illegally. There will be checkpoints near/at the border at which one can apply for citizenship. First of all, I would like to state that the person will first have to apply for temporary alien status along with the citizenship, and I will explain why very soon. When they apply, it will take a couple months for an immigration board here in America to look over their record (from the country they came from). If their record is clean, or if they have a criminal record from earlier in life but have shown an improvement and a desire to make a positive contribution to American society, they will then be let into this country under a temporary legal alien status. Since they have also applied for citizenship, this is where the temporary alien status comes in. The person will live in a town of their choosing in America for a certain period of months. If they exemplify interest in working hard and contributing to American society, then they may stay, and after their alien term is up then their citizenship is ratified. If they commit a crime while under temporary alien status, they will immediately be deported. If they are too unproductive, there may also be deportation. In conclusion, I believe that we should let immigrants into this country only if they really love this country and want to support it and live a good life and work a good job.

-Gavin

Science Leadership Academy @ Center City

We are high school students from Philadelphia! We've been studying immigration in U.S. history so many of our letters include our opinions on this issue.