Sarah A. California

Immigration letter to the Future President

People dream of coming here and living here, and we are lucky enough to have the chance to do so. Do not take that opportunity away from others.

Immigration is a controversial topic, one with many sides and positions to take. Whether you support it or not, you have to step back and look at the bigger picture. Our country was founded on immigrants and the freedom they have to come here. And I understand your role as a president is to protect our nation from dangerous people and to ensure our “true” citizens are being taken care of. However, I hope that you can allow all people to have access to America. That you allow them to become citizens and not tear families apart from each other.

Immigrants often get a bad reputation, they are generalized as rapists, drug dealers, and criminals. These accusations may be true in some cases, but saying all immigrants are included in these groups is unfairly characterizing them as horrible people who can only cause turmoil. Looking at the achievements and benefits of immigrants, it is easier to see them for their good. For their rich culture they have brought, the diversity that is here because of them, the new language, new foods, traditions, and ideas they are bringing to the United States. We are who we are because of immigrants.

This is America, the land of opportunity and equality, the land of the free and the home of the brave. People dream of coming here and living here, and we are lucky enough to have the chance to do so. It is our responsibility to ensure it remains a possibility of those less fortunate than us to have the chance to experience the life we have. So I ask of you, Future President, to not cut off our borders. To not shut out those just looking for a better life and a safe place. These are our brothers, friends sisters, mothers, neighbors, fathers, cousins, aunts, and uncles. This is our family.

Sarah Aggarwal

Santa Clara High School

11th graders in AP English Language SCHS

11th grade students in AP English Language at SCHS