Eli B. Pennsylvania

Open Immigration Will Strengthen The US

The proposal is about immigration reform and how opening the US to immigration would greatly benefit us. It mentions what immigrants have done for the US.

The immigration policies proposed by the republican nominee in the current election are disappointing and contradict everything we have learned throughout history. The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 excluded the immigration of Chinese people. Not only did the act reject many Chinese immigrants it also led to the deportation of thousands of Chinese people. The transcontinental railroad was completed in 1869 due to 15,000 new Chinese immigrant workers. After the Chinese Exclusion Act the economy suffered in part due to the absence of a productive Chinese workforce. The US economy and public have thrived with immigrants coming to this country.

My immigration proposal would be to keep immigration open and available to those in need and to those who will benefit our society by living here. Each year approximately 400,000 people immigrate to the US. I propose allowing 1.5 million spots for potential immigrants including refugees. There are currently 10,000 Syrian refugees residing in the US. This proposal would allow for hundreds of thousands more people. Those potential refugees would be incredibly loyal. The refugees would feel comfortable and welcomed in Detroit as it is a hub for Arab immigrants. This would benefit not only the refugees but Detroit as well. Tyler Durden, a news blogger from New York writes; “Detroit has 10,000 empty, structurally sound houses—10,000. And lot of jobs to be had repairing those houses. Detroit just came out of bankruptcy and the mayor’s trying to do an innovative sort of urban homesteading program there.” Like the Chinese immigrants in the 1800’s the Syrians could positively impact the economy especially in Detroit where it is needed the most.

Among our peer countries the US would not look unwelcoming like we do now, if we accepted more immigrants and refugees. Compared to Germany which welcomed with open arms one million Syrian refugees, our measly 10,000 makes us look morally deficient. Arab countries would likely be more inclined to trust and negotiate with us if we accepted their people when they needed help. Turning a blind eye to the Middle East in a time of need is something America has done time and time again creating a anti-American stance among the Middle Eastern population. If the Middle East was less anti-American it could lead to us taking thousands of troops out of the Middle East and saving billions of dollars. It could also lead to the destruction of Arab, anti-American terrorist groups.

The US has been a safe haven for people in need, for hundreds of years. However monitoring who comes in and out of the US is a top priority in my proposal. Enforcing thorough background checks on everyone coming in would ensure no one with a dangerous, anti-American history will be allowed in the country. The proposed background checks would allow American citizens to still feel safe at home with immigrant neighbors. With the American public feeling comfortable with the new flow of immigrants, people would be accepting of one another creating a real melting pot.

My immigration reform proposal, would enhance our economy, strengthen our foreign relations and create a less toxic place in America. I urge you to adopt it and name me treasurer of everything.  

Science Leadership Academy @ Center City

We are high school students from Philadelphia! We've been studying immigration in U.S. history so many of our letters include our opinions on this issue.