Arabely Texas

I'm Mexican, does that make me a rapist?

A wise man once said "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin...". Almost 5 decades later and this is STILL just a dream.

Dear president,

Isn't it funny that we still have racism in this country? Well because of recent events Latinos, especially Mexicans, have been the targets for a lot of hate. People are saying things like “They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapist”. This has made matters worse for us. We aren't being seen as people, rather a threat. 

The crazy thing is, hispanics ages 18 to 29, 65% say they have experienced discrimination or unfair treatment because of their race or ethnicity. I'm gonna be 18 soon. Am I gonna become part of this percentage? Something that is just ridiculous is that hispanics born in the U.S. (62%) are more likely than immigrants (41%) to say they have experienced discrimination or unfair treatment. CRAZY RIGHT? Maybe I'll become part of this percentage. 

Latin Americans who are born here are getting told “Get out of my country” or “Go back to your country”. How are we even suppose to respond to that? In our tan skins and accents say “I am in my country” this will just open the floor to more racist comments. So Mr/Mrs. president I just wanna know will you treat us Latin American like Americans? Will you do anything to fix the terrible name we've been given?

Sincerely, Arabely Herrera

Galena Park High School

English II

English II students write about their concerns for the upcoming election.