Kate M. New Jersey

Dear Future President

This letter addresses the next president and how Americans need college education.

“Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world” -Nelson Mandela. Education is the one of the most important things someone could have, it is almost “essential” to life. It is critical that everyone has a fair opportunity of getting the same quality education. Everyone should be able to go to college and get the best education there could be.

According to reviewjournal.com, a majority of 62% say they agree most people are unable to afford the cost of college education. This view was held true throughout party lines respondents who had a college education said public college costs are unaffordable. Also, the amount of college tuition is about $10,000 to $30,000, depending on the college people are looking at. In order to pay off that money as quickly as possible someone would have to work approximately 24 hours a day for 172 days with an additional 10 hours.

Reviewjournal.com also says that another 53% of people agree that education is essential to life. According to cew.georgetown.edu, around 35% of jobs require a college degree. Typically college graduates are more satisfied with their careers. Also having a college degree affects people around them. Especially children. Studies show that kids in homes with one or both parents have a college degree are more likely to earn a college degree as well. It’s not fair that some kids have a better chance of a college education because their parents had a degree while others don’t. If they don’t want a degree that’s fine, but they all should have an equal opportunity because every child should be able to dream of a “dream college.” You have to make college a possibility for kids, not just an unrealistic fantasy.

Also according to data.bls.gov, if college were more affordable the unemployment rate could go down. 5.4% of the unemployment rate don’t have a college degree. That is a possible 5.4% taken away from the unemployment rate. Also with a college degree people would have more confidence in a job interview or just in general. Confidence is everything, especially during job interviews. According to Las Vegas Review Journal, by 2018, about 60% of jobs will require a college education, which will make the unemployment rate increase if the college tuition cost is not lowered.

People argue college is fine and doesn’t need to be change because of financial aid and things of that nature. Although there is financial aid, why go through all that extra work of getting financial aid, when people can just pay for it straightforwardly. Some believe it should be increased because a degree will become more valuable and more money will be pumped into the economy. If such thing happens, people will be discouraged to get a higher education and its discrimination against the poor.

You must make it easier for people to get a good quality education. You must make it fair for everyone to get a college education.You must lower the tuition prices to an affordable amount. Figure out what an appropriate amount would be that works for the majority of people. Do some sort of poll or survey figuring out what would work. Start considering how people who can’t afford it feel. How much they struggle to get a good education to support their families or even themselves. Begin to help others out, because if you were in their shoes, wouldn’t you want the same help for yourself?

Kate Montalto

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.