Bevin C. New Jersey

Unemployment in the United States

This letter addresses the problems of the economy and unemployment in the United States.

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Maybe you wanted to be an astronaut, a doctor, a teacher, or maybe a firefighter? Did you ever think about if you would be able to get that job though? You most likely just expected that you would have a job when you were older, yet there are millions of people living in the United States who don’t have one.

Unemployment affects a multitude of people living in the United States everyday. Without a job, these people cannot support their families, or themselves. The unemployment rate in the U.S is about eight percent, that is way too high. This means that 8 out of every 100 people in the country do not have jobs. If there are 314.9 million people in the country, then 25,512,000 do not have jobs.

Where you live can affect your chances of being unemployed. The unemployment rate does not only exist in the country, but also in states alone. In states like California and Florida, the unemployment rate is a little over ten percent. In New Jersey the unemployment rate is 6.5%, yet in Nevada the unemployment rate is sixteen percent. My solution is to start creating more jobs in places where the unemployment rate is higher as an alternative to creating them in places where it is lower and more stable.

According to Autodesk Incorporated CEO Carl Bass, “The factory of the future will have only two employees: a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment.” What economics have found out is that in the “not too distant future”, robots will make human jobs-at least as we know them today-obsolete. Humans are already being displaced by machines for many jobs, so what happens when there’s no use for them at all? We need to start creating more jobs for people that only humans can and will do.

Most people will argue that the economy is better than it’s ever been. They also say that in comparison to what we went through in 2008-2010, we’re doing just fine. According to The Seattle Post, “While things are far from perfect, there has never been a better place in a better time to live than here and now.” Just because the economy is better, doesn’t mean it’s back to normal and everything is okay once again. According to penpalschools.com, getting the economy back to where it was will take some time. The unemployment rate will not return to pre-recession levels of around five percent until 2017.

The unemployment rate is either going to get better or worse, it’s not going to stay the same. Help create jobs and getting the unemployment rate to a place where people won’t have to worry about their children’s future, where teenagers don’t have to worry so much about their future, and where kids can still dare to dream.

Bevin C

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.