Ian S. Louisiana

Privacy Loss

As a country we loose millions of dollars a year in hacks. Via government or personal security breaches.

Dear Future President:

Hackers are able to steal millions of dollars from banks in the USA without breaking a sweat. Google is able to read your emails and scan for keywords to tailor their advertising for you. Something must be done to keep Americans safe online.

All around the world hackers steal money from banks without stepping foot in the bank. Recently “Hackers have stolen approximately $1 billion in what could be one of the largest bank heists ever, according to a new report from the Internet security firm Kaspersky Lab.”(Money.CNN.com). These hackers were able to do this from halfway across the globe. The hackers also rigged the ATMs to spew money for a ‘henchman’ who was ready to pick the cash up, says CNN. This heist was pulled off in 25 countries including the USA.

Four UC-Berkeley students’ privacy was intruded upon by Google. Google allegedly read their emails without consent or knowledge of the students. Washington Post has the story:

Four students and alumni from the University of California-Berkeley have sued Google in federal court, alleging that the company — which runs the university’s email accounts — illegally intercepted and scanned emails for advertising purposes without students’ knowledge or consent.(Washington Post)

This is unacceptable, as these students had their privacy stolen from them without their knowledge. Google replied with their privacy policy.

Google’s privacy policy states:

We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which ads you’ll find most useful, the people who matter most to you online, or which YouTube videos you might like.(Google)

The UC-Berkeley students obviously didn't read the terms of service. This is still not right they are scanning our emails and who knows what else, for “keywords”.

I recommend that we take action and crack down on hacking, and privacy loss. We shouldn't allow cell phones in banks, or near ATMs. Cell phones should also not be allowed in government buildings, and should be replaced by locked down phones and computers. I hope you will consider my issue.

Sincerely yours,

Ian Shaneyfelt

Work Cited

"Hackers Stole from 100 Banks and Rigged ATMs to Spew Cash ..." N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.

"Privacy Policy – Privacy & Terms – Google." N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.

"UC-Berkeley Students Sue Google, Alleging Their Emails ..." N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.

Runnels

Runnels English I-Honors

English I-Honors