Mason M. Louisiana

Racial Inequality In America

Racial tension in America obstructs black Americans from an equal path to success an achievement.

Civil Rights activist, James Meredith, once said, “My answer to the racial problem in America is to not deal with it at all. The founding fathers dealt with it when they made the Constitution.” Indeed, racial inequality is an issue that was addressed years ago; however, it is still apparent in America today. Black Americans are treated unlawfully by police officers, financial companies, and many more establishments despite the writings in the Constitution. These injustices obstruct the path to success and achievement for many black Americans. As our next president, you should fight to ensure that black citizens receive equal opportunity in today’s society.

To begin, it is important that you ensure equal opportunity among black citizens because many black Americans are mistreated or lose their lives at the hands of police officers. Black parents across the U.S. worry if their children will even make it home the next day without a dangerous encounter with law enforcement. In fact, an article titled “The state of race relation in America” says, “A white man who opens fire...is apprehended by police yet still alive to face his day in court but a black 12-year-old boy playing with a toy gun...is shot down within .36 seconds.” This encounter between a black male and a police officer along with many others do not abide by the law. If all men are “innocent until proven guilty,” an officer doesn’t have the right to prematurely judge a situation. Police officers are put in place to protect the community, not dismantle it. Likewise, black Americans aren’t receiving equal health options and other important necessities. Because of the recent poverty rates in black communities, many African-Americans suffer the loss of health care, banks, and much more. The article, “Black voters, too, want a choice, not an echo: the GOP and conservative principles can supply the lack,” mentions that, “Southside [Chicago] has lost 2,000 hospital beds in recent decades, has no trauma centers and suffers...long ambulance-response times.” These rates are absolutely unacceptable considering the recent crime rates of this city. According to an article posted by USA Today, Chicago’s murder rate has gone up 72% compared to 2015. With numbers like these, hospital beds and ambulances are vital. In addition, black Americans aren’t receiving an optimum education. Many African-Americans lack the money to pay for private schooling; therefore, they rely on free public schools. However, many of these schools are closing down in impoverished black communities. An article titled “Black voters, too, want a choice, not an echo: the GOP and conservative principles can supply the lack” goes on to say, “Under-resourced...public schools are being closed...black families that suffer from bad public schools and charter school lotteries that leave their children’s education to chance.” In the fast paced world we live in today, no one’s education should be left to chance. As President of the United States, you should work to make sure that everyone is receiving the best education available.

Once again, Mr./Mrs. President, it is so important that we offer black Americans the same opportunity in our society. Although I am in sixth grade and too young to vote, I know that every person should wake up to equal possibilities and rights in America. If racial bias interferes with a person’s rights, it is a serious debacle. I understand that you are a very busy person, but please take some time to pursue this issue.

Mason M.

Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy

Gifted English Grades 6&7

Gifted English writers of Patrick F. Taylor Academy.