Sen New York

Letter To the Next President of U.S

I will be discussing about privacy rights in the digital world of the internet.

Dear Mr/Mrs.President,

As a student in East-West School of International Studies, I have took human right classes, government, currents events, and global/world studies and have learned a lot concerning people rights and the history of the world. However,  I am writing to bring you attention to the issue concerning the people's privacy rights of the digital world. 

The September 11 attacks, rising of terrorism, and online criminal activities are all key things that are limiting people's privacy rights. In addition, Large corporations and company's has their own privacy rules that still collects data and the government can still have access to it. In 2012, a teen girl was offered Diaper advertisements before her father knew she was pregnant. How did Target knew? Target collects the data from her searches, consumer patterns, and what she shops. Wouldn't that be embarrassing for a teen girl to let other's know about her personal secrets? It isn't just Target, it virtually all huge company. I really don't want Facebook and other companies to know what I search, what ads related to my searches, my location, and personal reasons online. Clearly, The Human Declaration of Human Rights, article 12 states "No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honor and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.". 

Additionally, The NSA shouldn't be listening to our phone calls, spy on our webcams, read our emails or chats, or see what we do online as a way to prevent terrorism. That doesn't stop terrorism, it's just violating the people's right. The United State of America should take people rights seriously and learn what the country is built under. A democracy, freedom. and prosperity. Can we really have these things if we violate people rights? 

We, The United States of America adopted the Human Declaration of Human Rights, and it is on United Nation website. We vowed the followed it many years ago and lets not break that promise. People rights are important.

To the next President of the United States, it is up to you to decide the future of this country. Will it continue to live up to what it promised back then, or should we forget about what we promised and just violate peoples personal privacy? I'm sure their "honor and reputation" should also be considered. Maybe we can find an alternative way that won't violate people's privacy, but still do the things the government needs to in order to ensure safety. Mr.President, Please make our country great and continue to follow what we vowed to long ago. This country is in your hands. 

Sen Xu

East-West School of International Studies

Government - 2nd Period

East-West School of International Studies 12th Grade Government Class