Holden L. Michigan

Privacy Issues

The FBI is allowed to access our phones at anytime!? Facebook is selling our personal information!?

9 out of 10 people have a passcode on their phones. Why do they keep them locked? Why do they not want other people to get into their phones? Privacy, that's one of the many reasons people don't like when other people can access their phones let alone accessing their phone when they don't want them too. We have passcodes on our phones because we can have private emails, text-messages, or even pictures. It's not just with cell phones, it's also with the World Wide Web. You wanna know why? Why we need better privacy laws?

Facebook just had a recent new update! It is going to ask you more personal questions, more than it does already. If you do not answer some of the questions, the website will not let you enter certain parts.Our personal questions should not restrict us from being able to access parts of the website. The reason they do this is so that other people can know how old you are and where you live, it is also used for ads. They call it “Personal Advertising.” So when you answer their personal questions so that you will see the ad that you can relate too and so that when you click on the ad, Facebook will be paid for you going on the ad. Websites like facebook, are selling your personal information. Some of these questions may be: What is your political party side? What is your Religious Opinion? How many members are in your family? What is your yearly income? Those are just some of the few personal question.

I believe that if you don't answer the questions, you shouldn’t be restricted from areas from a website. Also, even if you do answer the questions, the website should not sell your personal info to other advertising companies just to make a quick dollar. One of my articles said “Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are three of the biggest social media sites ever! The only problem is the privacy issues! There are some questions, that if you don't answer the website will not let you proceed to certain areas of that website.” Another article said, “Websites that ask you personal information, may be using your information to earn more money by advertising.” The last article I read said this, “FBI is allowing themselves to access our cell phones at any time! This is causing a lot of havoc in the U.S.A! Should we keep letting the FBI be able to access our phones at anytime they want?”

How is this affecting people? People who have passcodes on their phones, have it on there for a reason. 99% of people are not hiding things on there, it’s because it is their phone and they don't want others to be on their phone, especially when they don't know who is going on their phone. Now that the FBI can access your phone without you knowing is causing a lot of havoc in the U.S.A! People are protesting on the streets, saying that they don't want the FBI to randomly go through their phone without the owner's permission.

How the FBI is capable of accessing any phone they want with a press of a button all about to make sense when I tell you this. There was a person who was involved in a school shooting that had an iPhone that was locked. When the school shooter killed himself, the FBI wanted to know who else was apart of this horrible mass shooting. So the FBI went to Apple®, and told them to create a software that will disable the, “Get-the -password-wrong-10-times-and-the-iPhone-will-reset-losing-all-of its-memory.” So Apple® created a software that disabled that feature so that the FBI, and anyone who can hack into your iPhone, can access your iPhone. It’s not just iPhones that are affected by this, it’s anyone with smart phone.

So Mr./Mrs. President, You need to make privacy laws more strict, so that the FBI needs the owner's consent and permission to be able to access their phone. There also needs to be a law against websites using your private information to sell to advertising companies. They can keep normal, everyday, ads but not ones that are personal so they can make money off of our private information. Thank you very much for reading my letter, have a great day!

Holden L.

Citations

http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T003&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA59587374&docType=Article&sort=RELEVANCE&contentSegment=&prodId=STOM&contentSet=GALE%7CA59587374&searchId=R1&userGroupName=lom_accessmich&inPS=true

http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T003&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA62603014&docType=Product%2Fservice+evaluation&sort=RELEVANCE&contentSegment=&prodId=STOM&contentSet=GALE%7CA62603014&searchId=R2&userGroupName=lom_accessmich&inPS=true

http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T003&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA458165147&docType=Article&sort=RELEVANCE&contentSegment=&prodId=STOM&contentSet=GALE%7CA458165147&searchId=R3&userGroupName=lom_accessmich&inPS=true 

Hausauer 4th Hour

Fourth Hour ELA 10