Mekhi G. Pennsylvania

Letter2pres

Make emigration unnecessary to prevent immigration.

I am writing this letter to offer my own recommendations for U.S. policy concerning immigration. I think that we should all value each other. I can’t help everyone but everyone could help someone. Our interests should be to make emigration unnecessary by making other places better so they won’t want to come to ours. According to the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs, Brown University: U.S. Immigration Policy in an Unsettled World assignment We should expand foreign aid and trade benefits. Doing this will help governments in developing countries to strengthen their economies. The goal is to reduce the flow of immigration to the United States. We should work with other wealthy countries to coordinate the resettlement of existing refugees and prevent future refugee crisis. My recommendation would affect the lives of people in the United States by reducing the drain on our social service resources. This means that the government would have more money to support the country and the people who need it most.

As past failures show, U.S. assistance cannot overcome the crippling poverty and social chaos plaguing many parts of the world. Another argument against this idea is that without high levels of immigration, the United States will lack the talent and energy to strengthen our economy and address future problems.

I have two strong arguments that support my option which are: Reducing the level of immigration to the United States will reduce the drain on our social service resources and expanding foreign aid programs and trade benefits for developing countries will reduce the drain of highly skilled workers from these countries and also reduce the anger that fuels terrorism.

If you work with other countries to help them make their places better how is that hurting us? We are preventing immigration and emigration at the same time. It’s like killing two birds with one stone. That was a metaphor for doing two things simultaneously, not to be taken literally. We will help ourselves by helping others. The people who want to emigrate will now think twice after they notice an increase in the economy. The people inside of the United States will keep their job and won’t have to worry about getting laid off or fired to be replaced by an immigrant.

It’s a win-win situation President, how can you not want to help everyone. I feel as though my option is the best option for this country.

Science Leadership Academy @ Center City

We are high school students from Philadelphia! We've been studying immigration in U.S. history so many of our letters include our opinions on this issue.