Izzy Illinois

immigration

Immigrants struggling to come into the U.S.A is a very big problem. We can do something about it by changing the immigration situation in America.

Immigration is the international movement of people that come into a country of which they are not natives or where they do not possess citizenship and in order to settle or reside there, especially as permanent residents or naturalized citizens, or to take-up employment as a migrant worker.

Two types of immigration are family based and refugees immigration. Family based immigration is U.S citizens may sponsor his or her spouse, parent has to be 21 and older, children, brothers and sisters. A lawful permanent resident may sponsor his or her spouse, minor children and adult unmarried, children. Sponsors must have an income level that exceeds nationally established poverty guidelines by 25% and must promise in writing to support the family member(s) he or she wishes to sponsor. Refugees immigration is foreign nationals located outside the U.S. who want to enter the U.S. to escape hostility in his or her home country.

By 2000, 23% of scientists with a PhD in the U.S. were immigrants, including 40% of those in engineering and computers. Roughly a third of the United State's college and universities graduate students in STEM fields are foreign nationals. Public schools in California found that white enrollment declined in response to increases in the number of Spanish-speaking Limited English Proficient and Hispanic students. This white flight was greater for schools with relatively larger proportions of Spanish-speaking Limited English Proficient. Among 25 to 44-year-olds, 55% of Hispanic immigrants that arrived after age 13 had not completed high school.

Immigrants currently drive more than one-third of the growth in housing demand in the United States. Within a few decades, immigrants are expected to be responsible for the bulk of the net growth in households in the United States, which will make immigration an even more important source of demand for new housing construction. Today, immigrant-headed households are more likely than households with a U.S.born head to rent their homes (49 percent versus 33 percent), and are more likely to live in apartment buildings and smaller housing units

Immigrants struggling to come into the U.S.A is a very big problem, we can finally do something. By changing the immigration situation coming into america. After giving more jobs to immigrants and making it easier to rent/buy a house the fact that refugees cannot escape hostility is a problem we can fix.

Izzy N.

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 3/4

Ms. McGovern's Period 3/4 ELA Class