Leonardo M. Texas

Why Immigration needs to be Reformed

Persuasive letter to the next President, advocating for the change of immigration

Dear Mister/Madam President,

Imagine how hard it must be for all the thousands of families out there who have lost their families in immigration. They have to struggle for survival on a daily basis and even after working as hard or harder than the average American, they have no real shot at ever making much more than minimum wage. The most important issue facing our great country today is immigration. Mr/Madam President, sign legislation to make the path to citizenship easier, and protect families of immigrants here in the United States. Families are being torn apart every day for completely unfair reasons by the immigration laws in place.Immigrants also help our economy in many ways, and without them, our economy would severely worsen.

The first reason to sign legislation is to stop the destruction of immigrant families. The U.S. deportation system is separating families and, in the process, affecting the lives of U.S.-citizen children, many of whom end up in foster care facilities after their parents are deported. These children might never their parents again. Imagine the parents, losing their children and not knowing if they are even going to survive. These children are scarred for life after an event like this. Many of the immigrants are kept in facilities while waiting to be either deported or approved to stay. Most are fed but once a day and struggle to even survive with the conditions in the facility. The families are not only torn apart, but they are done so for completely unfair reasons. As long as they go through the legal process, all immigrants should be aloud in the United States. Unless you are 100% Native American, you shouldn't have a say in who stays and goes because you too are an immigrant. Nobody should have to suffer the way a lot of the immigrant families do both mentally and physically.

Some people think that the economy will suffer, and many people will lose their jobs. This is entirely not true. As a matter of fact, immigrants create new jobs by increasing production, engaging in self-employment, and easing upward job mobility for native workers. The mere presence of immigrants increases demand in the economy and spurs new businesses to open, creating more jobs for both immigrant and native populations. Consider an island with only a doctor who knows how to repair broken bones. If someone were to have a heart problem, he would most likely not be able to be treated. We need immigrants in order to thrive as a country.

The second reason to sign legislation is that immigrants help our economy in so many ways. First of all, tax revenues would increase. The federal government would gain $4.5 to $5.4 billion in additional net tax revenue over just three years if the 11 million undocumented immigrants were legalized. States would also benefit. Texas, for example, would see a $4.1 billion gain in tax revenue and the creation of 193,000 new jobs if its approximately 1.6 million undocumented immigrants were legalized. Secondly, many companies like Google, Yahoo!, eBay, and Intel were all co-founded by people born outside America who arrived not through some clever selection process, but as children. Nobody could have guessed, when he arrived in the United States as a child refugee from the Soviet Union, that Sergey Brin would go on to co-found Google. If he had been denied entry, America would never have realized the opportunity that had been missed. How many potential Sergey Brins does America turn away or scare off, just because of it’s bad immigration system?

Congratulations on becoming the forty fifth president of the United States of America. There is a great amount of responsibility on your shoulders. Focus your immediate efforts on assisting the immigrants and fixing the corrupt immigration laws that are destroying families. Just Imagine the families being torn apart, and the potential brilliant minds lost due to the immigration laws.

Clark, Mary Pat. "Most Say Illegal Immigrants Should Be Allowed to Stay, But Citizenship Is More Divisive." Pew Research Center for the People and the Press RSS. 28 Mar. 2013. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Goo, Sara Kehaulani. "What Americans Want to Do about Illegal Immigration." Pew Research Center RSS. 24 Aug. 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Should Immigrants Be Allowed in the United States?" The Premier Online Debate Website. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

ThinkProgress. "Top 10 Reasons Why The U.S. Needs Comprehensive Immigration Reform." ThinkProgress. 10 Dec. 2012. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Why America Needs Immigrants." CNN. Cable News Network. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.