Xander H. Oklahoma

Rethinking Medical Marijuana

Medical marijuana should be legal in all states because it can help sick people and can provide extra revenue for the state.

Dear next president,

I know you probably have multiple different problems to deal with for at least the next four years, but I’d like you to think about something that could help many people. It’s a very controversial topic, medical marijuana. I believe it should be legal in all states, there is many different reasons it should be. Most people do not believe in supporting medical or recreational marijuana because it can be addictive. Which is a good reason for not wanting to allow it to be fully out there for the public.

Alcohol can also be very harmful long term, but it is completely legal to almost anyone who is at least twenty-one. Marijuana can help people with different conditions, but drinking alcohol does not help any disease or condition. People are very aware of the danger of over use of marijuana even though most are unsure of the exact effects, but people know exactly the effects alcohol might have, like liver failure or driving under the influence, but we still let people consume it with no limitation except their own. Letting people become excessive alcoholics and dangers themselves and their families.

Medical use of marijuana is already legal in twenty-five states and produces extra revenue for the state. The extra money the state government gets could be used for a number of different projects the state might be working on. It could help pay the school system or construction. In places like Oklahoma City where the schools are very underfunded it could help very much. I believe that it could help many people even if they aren't the ones using it for medical purposes because of the money for the state.

Marijuana and its extracts can be used to help many people. It can help with multiple different diseases or conditions like autoimmune diseases, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis (which causes the loss of muscle control) alzheimer’s disease, seizures, substance use disorders, and mental disorders. It can help many people without harming many if it is regulated to only medical use. It would be only by prescription making it so people who only want it for recreational use won’t be able to get it.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.