Grace S., Natalia D., & Chloe M. Oklahoma

The Gender Gap

Sexism is still a major problem in today's society. Women continue to make less pay and are under-represented in traditionally male-dominated industries.

Imagine getting paid half as much as a man who have worked the same job for the same amount of time. Sexism is still a major problem in today’s society. Sometimes people are subconsciously sexist which leads us to bigger issues. We as a country need to address this issue and focus on resolving it.

America is one of only a few countries that has equal rights between men and women. This, however, does not mean that women are still treated equal to men. There are many stereotypes about women that make it hard for them to get into “male-dominated” businesses or jobs. If that isn’t bad enough, women in general do not get paid as much as men. According to City Vision, “Women working 41 to 44 hours per week earn 84.6% of what men working similar hours earn…” In Women’s Health, the article “The Reality of Sexism in Sport,” it states, “... research carried out last year by the charity Women In Sport found that just 27% of the boards of national governing bodies for US sports were women.” This means that less than half of the people working in this sports business are women. The sports industry is also an example of a “male-dominated” business.

How would you feel if you went to your job everyday knowing that the person next to you is getting paid thirty-percent more? Keep in mind that this person has been working for the same amount of time and is completing the same tasks. Do you think this is fair? Women should be receiving equal pay compared to men. One may be a different sex, but that does not mean that they are worth less. Let’s jump on this boat together and steer it toward the right direction, equality.

Grace S., Natalia D., and Chloe M.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.