Juliana, Jenny, & Sarah Oklahoma

Racial Discrimination

There are many examples that show big differences in opportunities, especially between whites and blacks, in America.

As you know, racial discrimination has always been an issue in the USA. There are many examples that show the big differences of the opportunities, especially between whites and blacks. It's ironic how America is a country that has the values of freedom and liberty but also has many cases that have affected many people. Studies show that the racism in the America is continuously increasing, and it’s a big problem that has no change

One of those cases is police brutality. According to the Mapping Police Violence, “Police killed at least 102 unarmed black people in 2015, nearly twice each week”. Another example from Mapping Police, “ of the 102 cases in 2015 where an unarmed black person was killed by police resulted in the officer(s) being charged with a crime, and only 2 of these deaths (Mathew Ajibade and Eric Harris) resulted in a conviction of officers involved.” It’s ridiculous how the police killed 102 unarmed black, but only 10 were considered as a crime, and out of the 10, not all of them received a death penalty.

Blacks and whites do not have the same opportunities. Most studies show that the unemployment of blacks is twice as high as that of whites, and blacks are much less likely to get a job. White people tend to have more privilege. They have higher income, higher levels of education, and better housing. According to Urban Wire, “Whites in their 30s and 40s have about 3.5 times more wealth than African Americans and Hispanics in the same group age. By the time they reach their early mid-60s, whites have 7 times the wealth than African Americans and Hispanics.” That’s a really huge gap between, and it’s continuing.

We think that racial discrimination should be changed. This will only get worse over time, as more and more frustrations build up from things that are happening. Racism is a really serious problem. It’s impacting the society, that causes people to not respect each other and be disrespectful of one another. It is also against the law. No one wants a society like this. We beg of you to make some changes and put in some effort.

Juliana C., Jenny N., & Sarah S.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.