Emma L. Illinois

Our Future President Needs To Make Changes Now!

Our next president should do something about the gun control laws in the United States of America in order to save people's lives.

Imagine walking down the street peacefully enjoying your day and you hear a BANG! Your day is ruined because now you are running for your life to get away. One time a couple year's ago many families and friends were sitting in a movie theater watching the premier of a movie and someone ends up killing 12 victims and 58 injured by a gun. I could never think of how they would have felt in that moment. Guns should not be in the hands of people with records and we need stricter background checks to do it.

In order for people to purchase a gun you need a background check and you have to register yourself and your gun. There should be more laws permitting how guns should be handled and bought. Statistics on Guns states “In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings. This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.” If the future president made a new law to make guns more restricted and kept in safer places than regular stores. The sport stores sell them any many many more. If there were certain places to go to, get a background check, get registered for a gun, and spend a good amount of time making sure that is person is safe for our country then they should be able to own a gun.

Earlier this year a club was under attack and 49 people were killed. The shooter, Omar Mateen, was suspected to be a terrorist and he had to purchase a gun and a lot of bullets in order to go through with his plan. If Omar had gotten a stricter background check then they would have figured out that he was not from America and if he had been convicted for things and suspected to be a terrorist. A government website states “Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks. Some states' requirements are limited only to handgun purchases.” Depending on which state you are in you don’t even need a background check to own a gun which means that guns can get into criminals hands even if they have a serious record.

The second amendment is the right to bare arms but that doesn’t mean that someone can purposefully own a gun in order to harm people or our country. In the first amendment all of the 5 freedoms go in depth of how everything you say need to be true and not meant to hard anyone. If the writers of the Constitution thought that you couldn’t say anything harmful that that makes it clear that you can not own a gun with the intention of harming people. If the right to have a gun and shoot it is unconstitutional especially when gun control websites have kept rates of percentages stating “42% of Americans will be the victim of a completed violent crime (assault, robbery, rape) in the course of their lives. 83% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime. 52% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime more than once.” These statistics show how much can be caused by guns and how the should not be used in our country.

Guns should have stricter laws preventing crimes from happening easily. There should be more background checks making sure that everyone is eligible and guns should be used only how they are intended to be used in their scenario. Many facts can show that guns have been a huge problem in the United States and our future president has to do something about it. 

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 1/2

Ms. McGovern's Period 1/2 ELA Class