Lindsey H. Illinois

Guns Should be Banned from USA Citizens

The amount of gun violence that occurs in the United States of America is outrageous. The right to have guns should be banned from USA citizens.

Dear Mr. President,

When it comes to the violence that occurs in America, it can be very hard to believe the amount of murders, robberies, shootings, and terrorism that happens everyday because a person simply pulled a trigger and took the lives of many. Believe it or not, banning guns could potentially reduce the amount of violence that occurs today and for the future. Over the past years, the death toll has been rapidly increasing and everyday, teary eyed friends and family gather for the remembrance of a loved one that was a victim of being shot.

We need to take action now and ban the right for citizens to have guns to make America great again and so the people feel more safe and protected. In 2015, there was a total of 64 school shootings and one specific shooting was the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. A man with the name, “Adam Lanza, 20, shot his mother Nancy Lanza dead at their family home before driving to the school and targeting a kindergarten class. (Larry Celona in the NY Post)” He was able to get his hands on a A Bushmaster rifle, a Glock handgun, and a Sig-Sauer handgun., took advantage of that, and took the lives of 20 innocent children ages 6-7, teachers, and his own mother. In the end, there was a total of 28 people that lost their lives that day for no purpose. He was not inspected when getting ahold of the guns the day he purchased them. The massacre on December 14, 2012 could have been prevented if the right to have guns was illegal.

An average 3.7 million robberies occur each year in the United States. Another incident that occurred, took place at an Aurora 7/11 Gas Station on February 12, 2016 at 11:35 pm. “The two men walked up to the 45-year-old man who worked at the store and pulled a gun and demanded money before they attacked the man. As the men ran out of the store, they grabbed cash and cigarettes. (Chicago News)” Luckily, no shootings occurred but how did the men get ahold of the gun? Again, if the right to have guns was illegal, these men may have not gotten ahold of one.

Everyday, the news has more stories on how there was another shooting or murder because a gun was in the matter of a bad persons hands. Why do these shootings occur? Typically, people that have grown up in a bad environment tend to get involved with violence and are able to get ahold of weapons, like guns. Mr. Trump, we need to take action now and ban the right for the American citizens to have guns. 

Metea Valley High School

English 2, Period 7

Mr. Page's very-totally-awesome 7th period English 2 class at Metea Valley High School in Aurora, IL.