Olivia M. Illinois

There should be stricter gun laws to prevent deaths from firearms.

9,675 murders were committed in 2014 from people with guns. Each year so many people are killed because of being murdered by guns. The Orlando Shooting, a recent shooting was caused by 2 guns. 50 people died including the shooter. If we had had strictest gun restrictions those people's lives could've been saved. I want to make more rules required to own a gun to prevent the deaths from guns.

There was 464,033 gun deaths from 1999 to 2013. Every day around 200 Americans go to the hospital as the result of a gunshot wound. If we had stricter gun control or requirements we could eliminate those numbers of deaths. In 2007 to 2011 29,618,300 crimes were committed and only 0.79 of the victims used guns as self-defense so therefore guns shouldn't be just given to people for self defense because guns are rarely used for that. An average of 33 people each day are killed from guns.

Between 2005 and 2010 1.4 million guns were stolen from legal owners by criminals. If those people didn’t own a gun, the criminals would’ve never had a gun and the house would have never been a target. Those people who owned guns could’ve been killed with a gun in their house by the criminal. According to the article “ Stolen guns increasingly used in violent crimes” by Jim Salter it says “ Chicago has already seized nearly 4,700 guns — nearly all of them stolen — this year.” This shows that we should reduce guns itself, to prevent criminals from owning them.

When someone is shot the cost of it all affects our society. The Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation states that “ In 2010, gun violence cost each person in the United States roughly $564 and the US government $5.5 billion in lost tax revenue; $4.7 billion in court costs; $1.4 billion in Medicare and Medicaid costs; $180 million in mental health care for victims; $224 million in insurance claims processing; and $133 million for law enforcement and medic response to shooting injuries.” For every gunshot victim it all adds up to a high cost. This shows that our country could save its resources, money and time if we had stricter gun control.

Some people say the second amendment gives them the right to own a gun no matter what and their should not be rules. However gun control laws are just as old as the second amendment. The second amendment is not unlimited it is not there right for anyone to own a gun when and where they want for whatever they want it for it does have boundaries and rules. Kids laws says that the second amendment does not grant a right to own a gun but it says the government should not stop you if you follow the requirements to have one.

Overall, there should be higher policies to own a gun and it should be more under control to save our citizens. I found it important to address to the future president because this is a change people want to see to make our country safer. America should not be allowing guns to everyone it should be limited to people who need it. 

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 3/4

Ms. McGovern's Period 3/4 ELA Class