Drew Iowa

Head Injuries in Football

There are too many football players getting head injuries, and we need to do something about this big problem in the United States.

There are too many football players getting head injuries, and we need to do something about this big problem in the United States. According to Sports Concussion Institute, there is an estimated amount of 1.6 million to 3.8 million concussions every single year. They also say 5-10% of people that play sports will or have suffered a concussion. Concussion Prevention says that athletes who get concussions have a better chance of getting long term brain damage, including a condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain disease that copies dementia. Dementia is a brain condition that cause problems with your memory and thinking.

Athletes and their families are affected by this, because when the person gets injured they will have to go to trips to the doctors and maybe even therapy to get better. The person that gets hurt will also have emotional responses. Some of them are being sad, lack of motivation, anger, and frustration. Their family is affected because they will be the ones bringing the person to the doctors and therapy. They will also have to pay for the trips to doctors and therapy. We should care, because if so many kids are getting injured then their parents won’t let them go out for football. If they stop letting them go out for football, then we won’t have enough people to play the game and it will be shut down.

The people at Concussion Prevention says possible solutions to the problem are by teaching football players how to play by the rules when they are young, wearing the right equipment, making sure there are no uneven spots on the field, making sure everything that they could run into and get hurt from is padded like field goal posts, and learning the right techniques so they don’t get hurt.

To sum it all up, we need to find a solution to the head injuries in football. If we don’t find a solution we won’t be able to play the great game of football anymore.

Drew