Shakir New York

Are Video Games Healthy?

Research shows that ages 12-17 are playing games like Grand Theft Auto and that’s 97% of them playing those types of games and the rest are playing adventure games and sports games. A way that this issue can be fixed is if there was an awareness campaign like national video game day or if they taught how to make video games in school because then that would be a good skill to have for colleges. Maybe even a day where video game developers come into schools and explain why the games are rated the way they are, and why the age limit on them is set to the age limit it is.

Dear next President,

Video games are played worldwide everyday and there are thousands of games and ratings on each game. Video games are a huge topic in today's society; there are people that spend hours on video games, and there are people that are famous for playing video games, but they are not violent people because they limit their play time. Most kids today spend hours on games such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Counter Strike or for short CS:GO. All three games are violent ,but GTA 5 is the most violent because it allows you to kill citizens and steal cars and rob gas stations. So if a kid is playing a game like that and doesn’t see what is wrong with what is in the game, then they should not be playing it. But if the child is at least 11-13 or older than they should be mature enough because by that age most kids develop common sense of what’s wrong and what’s right, and they most likely won’t take the video games that they play seriously.

Some parents don’t like their kids playing video games because they say that they are not good for them. That may be true because once you play, you want to play for hours. So that’s why you should limit your play time. But parents might not understand that letting their kids play video games actually lets them work their brain and develop skills. The only game that ever really worked my brain and helped me develop skill was Uncharted because it was full of experience and has a lot of situations where it allows you to think as if you are the character in the game and it takes place in different parts of the world.

When it comes down to the person playing the game, it depends on how violent that player is as a person. And when I say that, I mean how much anger they have inside them. School shootings have happened because of video games. Some articles say that the Columbine Massacre was linked to video games because one of the shooters named his gun after a gun in a game called Doom. Articles say that ages 12-17 are playing games like Grand Theft Auto.  97% of this age group are playing those types of games and the rest are playing adventure games and sports games. A way that this issue can be fixed is if there was an awareness like national video game day or if they taught how to make video games in school because then that would be a good skill to have for colleges. Maybe even a day where video game developers come into schools and explain why the games are rated the way they are and why the age limit on them is set to the age limit it is. But this would all cost a lot of money because videos and things that are linked to them are very expensive.  However, it would be a great way to teach the kids of our future why video games have certain ratings.

Shakir

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.