LUKE B. New York

America's mass gun shootings stem from the fact that it is very easy to get a gun when we take no drastic precautions to keep our people safe.

Dear Future president,

I am Luke, a seventh-grade student in New York City, and I am here to discuss a large problem in our country, gun control. I know our country needs more gun control laws and regulations. Guns have been very easy to get and that is a huge problem. Also, they play a part in attacks all around America, and it scares me that I could be a victim and I’m not the only one. My idea to help with gun control is to have more thorough background checks because according to Procon.org, for every thousand people in America, 888 people have guns. It’s just too easy to get guns in America. President Obama said, “When people are armed with powerful weapons, it makes shootings like this more tragic.” Obama was talking about the shooting and killing of 7 police officers in Dallas on July 7, and according to the New York Daily News the killer most likely used an AK-47 that was purchased legally in America. The thing that scares me most is that the shooter got his gun legally in America.

I am going to state some statistics on these outcomes that are affecting our country and I think we should try to change. There were 464,033 gun deaths between 1999 and 2013. There were 270,237 suicides from guns, 174,773 homicides and 9,983 unintentional deaths. 

According to Procon.org, countries with more strict gun laws have less gun deaths. So why don’t we have more strict gun laws and restrictions to help our country? 

I hope you will help to change background checks soon.

Luke

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.