Joe C. (JaJa) New York

Lower The Drinking Age to 18

Out of 160 countries, 61% have a minimum drinking age of 18-19 years old; only the U.S and a mere 11 other counties have it set to 21.The U.S has a Death Rate due to Alcohol of 2.91 (per 100,000) and the minimum drinking age is 21. Italy has a death rate of 0.37 and the minimum drinking age is 18.

As you can see from this drawing, what happen to Grace is very unfortunate but we can help greatly lower the chances of this happening. When teens hit college, they are placed in an environment of intense drinking parties, and for an 18 year old who has never drank, that is a huge red flag. To start, there is no parental supervision, and they have no clue about what their limit is or what alcohol will do to their body.

Now look at the other side. A girl like Grace is 18 and decides to go to a bar as a senior in high school. Now that she is 18, she can legally drink alcohol. Grace is in a public environment with adults and a bartender watching her limit; she is a lot safer. Also if Grace is over her limit she will get thrown out and embarrassed. This will educate her to drink responsibly. If she were to do this at a college party, she would be applauded all over Snapchat the next day, and think it's fine when really that is how bad things happen. I feel the drinking age being lowered to 18 will save the lives of many young adults by letting them become more educated and experienced with alcohol.

Joe

"Drinking Age ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2016.

2014, By WHO. "ALCOHOL DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY." World Life Expectancy. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2016.

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.