Darren L. New York

Homelessness In NYC

The amount of homeless people is rising and they are thought to be horrible people.

There are many homeless people in the world and they are misjudged and treated in not the best way. The amount of homeless people has increased since the Great Depression during the 1930s. According to the Coalition for the Homeless, currently there are 61,931 homeless people in New York. My reaction to this is shocked because this is a lot of people and each person is suffering. There are shelters but won’t last forever. The number of the homeless has increased by 85% since 2006.This is just more proof that New York City has an increasing number of homeless people on the streets. Additionally, homeless people have a higher chance of getting sick and that also means that the sickness will spread. Imagine this, a person looking in the trash can for food that is starving and is coughing with a sickness. These are the struggles of a sick homeless person. People don’t deserve this treatment just because of life.

These homeless people are assumed to be bad and that is a problem because homeless people have feelings too. For example, one certain week I was walking down the street with my mom and there was a homeless person. My mom moved me to the side away from the homeless person. This means that she wasn’t giving any trust to the homeless person and thought he was going to do something crazy. I remember the homeless man wearing shaggy clothes that were dirty. He was lying on the floor with a empty soda cup and asked people for money and I was pretty sure he was ignored a lot so I felt bad for him. I felt as though he was already used to being rejected. I remember when I was about 7 years old, my mom said that homeless people will kidnap children and I believed that as a kid. This just shows how the homeless are misjudged and aren’t treated the way they should be. It would be great for these homeless people to have a home and have a way better life. Thank you for reading this letter.

Darren L.

Sources:

Coalition for the Homeless. "Basic Facts About Homelessness: New York City - Coalition For The Homeless." Coalition For The Homeless. First Step Partners, n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2016. <http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/basic-facts-about-homelessness-new-york-city/>.

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.