Loh S. New York

Technology/Privacy

Dear Mister or Madam President,

We are living in a 2016 society where technologies exist everywhere in our daily life. People can't live without technologies because it helps us do things easily. Technologies make our life more convenient and faster than before. However, nothing is perfect because sometimes technologies would bring us some troubles and worries. One of the big worries that everyone cares about is privacy. I think that we should have the most common and necessary courtesy, which is respect. We should respect each other by giving privacy to the people in the country.

Privacy is very important in today’s society because it includes to our personal information and relates to our financial economic. Since our technologies improve a lot, it makes hackers easier to hack into a person’s computer and smartphones to do something illegals. Also, the government hopes that people could publish their information to them because it implicates to our security. In our daily life, we use many apps and websites to either contact or research. For example, Facebook, Google, Twitter, and Snapchat are the apps that many people from many different countries would use every day. When we first use these apps, we have to register an account in order to continue. At the same time, we have to accept their agreement in order to complete the register, which also means that we allow them to see our personal information. Every time when I download some apps or software, many of it would ask me to accept their agreement in order to keep installing. However, I feel uncomfortable with it but I have no choices. If I want to keep install the apps or software, I have to accept their agreement.

In addition, the government would like people not to private their information because they can easy to investigate if there are some people who use the internet to hack information and data from others. In government’s side, security is important because they have the responsibility to protect the safety of every citizen in the country. However, in citizens’ side, privacy is more important to them because what if the government or other apps expose their information to the public and what if the hackers hack to their account. With 1.5 million annual cyber attacks, online crime is a real threat to anyone on the Internet. That number means there are over 4,000 cyber attacks every day, 170 attacks every hour, or nearly three attacks every minute. In 2013, 43% of companies had a data breach in which hackers got into their systems to steal information. In 2014, there are 47% of American adults had their personal information stolen by hackers , primarily through data breaches at large companies. Data breaches targeting consumer information are on the rise, increasing 62% from 2012 to 2013. That added up to a staggering total of $18,000,000,000 in credit card fraud for the year(cbs.com). The cyber attack makes the Internet become more danger because people wouldn't know when their account and their personal information would be hacked by the hackers. Also, one way to prevent a number of cyber attacks increase doesn't need people to provide their information online and to give more right of privacy.

Since the chance of getting hacked is becoming higher, so that many people would prefer to private their information. The survey in 2015 shows that 69% of adults say they are not confident that records of their activity maintained by the social media sites they use will remain private and secure. Also, there are 74% of adults say that being in control of who can get information about them is very important(pewinternet.org). Based on the survey, it shows that many people become more careful because they know that it could benefit them to keep in private. The benefits of to have privacy are protected their social security number, address, credit card number, email address and their location from being hacked by the hackers.

If we lose privacy in our life, which make the whole country become dangerous because everyone can hack into the computers and smartphones. They can pretend as another person to do something illegal. Also, many people learned computer science, which gives them more advantages and easy to hack others’ information. The President and the government should do some actions in order to protect people's private information. The President or government can make a rule that the companies and some websites should have permission from people in order to see their information. The government also need permission from people, they should not force and hack into their computers or smartphones without their knowing.

Loh Siao Min

East-West School of International Studies

Government - 6th Period

EWSIS 12th Grade Government - Mr. Jacobson and Mr. Pierini