Cole B. Texas

The Importance of Technology In Education

Persuasive letter to the next President to better fund technological infrastructure in schools and school districts.

Hello, and congratulations on being elected the President of the United States! Everybody greatly appreciates the responsibility you’ve taken into your hands - although everyone has something they want to change in our nation. For me and many other people, it's thought to be absolutely essential to raise the level of technological education in schools. In our day and age, the world around us is filled with technology that we see and use constantly. Technological breakthroughs are growing ever more common and greater than ever before, and new ways to apply it in different fields are found practically every day, including educational uses that, according to teachers, greatly enhance learning, ease of lesson planning, and ease of grading. The great advances we have made come with some problems, however - jobs that include the use of technology and technological development are growing the fastest they ever have in history, and traditional physical, hands-on labor is, in the future, going to quickly be replaced with jobs that require higher education and great extents of knowledge about modern tech. Can you imagine the state of our nation once our current generation of grows up and has no idea how to execute any of the actions required by their jobs? Clearly it’s essential to educate the children in our schools more about this so they (and the economy) can be successful now and in the future.

Lots of community-sourced data has been collected about what people think about the impact of computer use for education - the verdict, according to parents and principals from a large sample of elementary, middle, and high schools is that it’s extremely important to have high levels of tech education in their school. 

Programs have been developed that help students learn & perform better, as well as helping teachers by offering them organized ways to enter grades, give their classes assignments, chat with students, and more. Not only this, they also help cater to the needs of students dynamically. Whether a student doesn’t understand a topic well enough, needs special education, or maybe even just wants to learn more, there is a lot of software that can assist in fulfilling needs for a wide range of students. The problem is that the infrastructures, storage, and devices needed to make use of it is expensive, and technological funding isn’t too great in a lot of school districts. I think that if more money is invested into these systems, the US educational system can be greatly improved and graduates can be more prepared for the outside world.

A lot of people say that there isn’t much evidence that technology really affects the learning experience. that much, but again, there is plenty of data that can counter that. Parents, principals, teachers, students, and even some school board directors have said themselves that technology has positively affected the learning quality in their school or district immensely.

The biggest reason I absolutely urge you to fund this more is the future of our current generation. Jobs are going to be a big problem - it’s not an imminent issue, but in the near future, traditional physical labor will most likely be dominated by robots - they’re bigger, stronger, and faster than humans, and require no salary (other than some occasional maintenance). We’ve already moved from human assembly lines to unbelievably quick mass production facilities with hundreds of robots - it only makes sense that the next thing will be the comprehensive robotic workers that humans have been developing through the years. This means, obviously, that available jobs will move away from that area and into the field of higher education jobs, including IT, marketing, healthcare, programming, multimedia, engineering, and a wide expanse of other STEM occupations. The growth in these fields, especially computer science and engineering, is expected to be around 20-40% by 2022.

If we want this generation to be successful in the future, we obviously have to prepare them for the work they’ll likely be doing.

I really thing you should consider taking action upon this issue. Although it isn’t incredibly urgent, it should still be dealt with at some point - the future is approaching quickly, and success is important for the people of America and for our economy!

@edglossary. "Personalized Learning Definition." The Glossary of Education Reform. 14 May 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"The Future of Personalized Learning in Elementary Schools." DreamBox Learning. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"10 Reasons Today's Students NEED Technology in the Classroom." Secure Edge Networks. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Personalized Learning" K-12 Education. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Reasons for Bringing Technology Into Schools." SRI International. US Department of Education (ED). Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Vilorio, Dennis. STEM 101: Intro to Tomorrow's Jobs. N.p.: Bureau of Labor Statistics, n.d. PDF.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.