Molly D. Michigan

Arts Programs

An argument supporting the benefit of arts programs. Why the programs are being cut, why they should be saved, and the impact of the programs on the students.

Molly D

Letter to the President

Art classes offer a whole new world of opportunities to some students. These creative, deep-thinking students find an outlet where they can express themselves. Whether it is through, music, dance, writing programs, photography, or theater classes, so many students are able to find their passions through these programs. Schools need to stop cutting arts programs because it is detrimental to a student’s motivation and enjoyment of school. Arts programs can be the reason why many students decide to keep persevering and working with school, and getting rid these programs could cause a student to become discouraged and less motivated while working. These programs also improve the learning of students and their mental health, and give them new skills that they may not be able to acquire without these classes.

Many school districts are having problems with funding arts programs. A lot of the time arts programs are sidelined or even gotten rid of. In fact, in the 1999-2000 school year, 20% of schools offered dance and theater programs, but in the 2009-2010 school year, only 3% of schools had funds for dance, and only 4% taught theater. There has been a huge decline in the funding for these programs. Even if the schools still offer music or art programs, they have been cut back in time and staffing. Schools are not offering classes as often, and they have fewer employees to teach these classes, which makes these programs harder to access. I have had firsthand experience with schools decreasing their funding for the arts programs, as I am in concert band and marching band at my high school. We don’t have the proper funding to repair or replace instruments, and most of the time, it is years before we do.

There is a reason that schools aim right towards the art programs to cut first. School districts have begun re-directing funds towards the classes that require standardized testing. These classes will increase overall test scores of their students, which many districts find more important. Because of the fact that schools are based largely on graduation rates and their standings in education, the boards aim to improve core classes more than others, because these are the grades that will have an impact on the school. Art classes don’t seem to have left an impact very often later in life, unless the student continues this skill or it is brought up as a once-loved hobby. This is why districts have cut back on these programs, because they aren’t seen as important or very helpful in the long run.

I believe that arts programs are important to an individual's success and have a positive impact on these students’ mental health. Elective classes are what keeps students interested in school, and without them, students may not put in as much effort, or be uninterested in what they are studying. These classes appeal to many students who excel creatively rather than in standardized core classes. Art elective classes especially motivate low-achieving students, who don't learn very well with notes and tests, and find this learning style hard to follow. These are students who are creative, and think outside of the box, and the arts classes help them embrace that skill. Personally, I have experience with this, because band class is one class that always keeps me motivated throughout the day. Without band, I would feel as if none of my classes appealed to my interests. Art elective classes also improve a student’s learning and their ability to perform in school, “Students who took four years of art classes scored 91 points higher on SAT exams than those who took half a year or less” (lawstreetmedia.com). Art education is important for schools to have because it promotes this creativity and develops problem-solving skills that students will be able to apply to other classes or learning. “Arts learning can also improve motivation, concentration, confidence, and teamwork” (edutopial.org). They inspire and teach students to be passionate about something, and open many new paths for this student later in life. These students become confident about their performances and connect with fellow students. Another community is brought to this student, and they become involved in new clubs and activities, where they could create bonds they will have for life. Art classes are important to a student’s mental health, and taking them away could be very detrimental to this learner.

Others may believe that art programs are a waste of time. Some may argue that it is not important to take an art class because it does not give you basic information or knowledge that you use in life. This is partly true, because many students will not decide to go down a creative path in life. This education could not be as beneficial to some people who will never use it. But, the experience is not entirely a waste, because students develop problem solving skills and are encouraged to think deeper. These skills can be applied to very many things in life, not just an art class. Many others can argue that arts programs are considered to be a wasted or a blow off class. Art classes, such as music, dance, photography and more, are also considered hobbies. Because of this fact, it is believed that this education is a waste of time and could be done outside of school or as an extracurricular activity. This is untrue, because some students may not have access to some of these things at home, such as an instrument, a camera, equipment, or somewhere to practice. Offering these programs is vital to some students, because without them, they can not continue to excel, grow, or continue these passions.

Overall, I believe that art programs are beneficial to a student’s mental health and learning. These programs inspire learning that the students can use later in life to apply to other things. They also motivate students to persevere through and continue their education. They allow students to access a bright community, filled with passion and creativity, that can impact them forever. We need to find a way to save these programs, because without these classes, we would have many students who don’t enjoy and cannot discover their passion in school. Arts classes allow the students to acquire useful skills, create important connections, express their passions and creativity, and discover their sense of self. Without these programs, what will happen to these minds?

Sincerely, A Concerned Student

Bibliography

Hambek, Jill. "Arts Programs in Schools Often in Danger of Being Cut." Washington Times. The Washington Times, 14 Mar. 2016. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/14/arts-programs-in-schools-often-in-danger-of-being-/

Metla, Valeriya. "School Art Programs: Should They Be Saved? - Law Street (TM)." Law Street (TM). N.p., 2016. Web. 30 Oct. 2016. http://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/education/cutting-art-programs-schools-solution-part-problem/

Smith, Fran. "Why Arts Education Is Crucial, and Who's Doing It Best." RSS. N.p., 28 Jan. 2009. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.

https://www.edutopia.org/arts-music-curriculum-child-development 

Eisele ELA 10 Honors 4th Hour

4th Hour