Eileen C. Texas

Why Gun Control is Necessary

Persuasive letter to the next President urging Gun Control

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Picture a world where America could be a safe place to thrive and no one had to worry about someone going insane and gunning down a crowd full of people. This could become a reality if you sign a bill stating ways in order to make it more difficult to get a gun(It’s apparently really easy to get access to a gun) or getting state governments either sign laws for the usage of a gun (States like Idaho don’t have any laws regarding guns) to pass stricter gun laws . Gun control laws need to be signed into law for two reasons, we can prevent less tragic shootings and it would help lower the crime rate by a huge percentage.

Gun Control would help prevent tragic events like Sandy Hook and the Orlando Florida Shootings in June of 2016. Eight states have begun requiring universal background checks since the mass shooting in 2013 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, bringing the total number to 18. And polls indicate broad support for toughened gun restrictions in all four of the states considering initiatives next month. According to onetheissues.org, about 1,500 children are injured by hand guns every year. Enforcing gun laws would bring this down this number by a huge percentage.

One argument most people have against gun laws are “Second Amendment states that anyone can have the gun” or something similar to that. This amendment is most of the time misused or misunderstood. This argument is flawed because the Constitution states that, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This is implying that a member of a militia (Military) may keep a gun if needed and not anyone.

Another reason to have gun control enforced is that it may lower the crime rate of America. Based on a survey that the U.S. Department of Justice has conducted, about 5.9 million of the total violent crimes in the US (The violent crimes being simple or aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, and murders) an estimate of 600,000 (Or 10%) were committed by perpetrators visibly armed with a gun.

Gun Control is needed now with the world advancing in technology and such. We can prevent future tragedies and keep the crime rate on a low scale if we put strict gun laws to use. If over half of America agrees we need major gun control, than it’s an issue that needs to be resolved immediately. Be the President that takes action when it comes to gun and congratulations on becoming the 45th president. I hope you plan on making America the best it can be when you’re in office.

Eileen C.

"Background on Gun Control." Background on Gun Control. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Gun Control – Just Facts." Gun Control – Just Facts. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

http://www.cfr.org/society-and-culture/us-gun-policy-global-comparisons/p29735 → 04 Nov. 2016