Iona M. California

The Rising Issue of Immigration

America is known as the “melting pot” which implies the mixing of various cultures and ethnicities. To deny the existence of certain races or religions in this country is completely hypocritical of what this country stands for. One of America’s unique qualities that many other nations do not have is that we the people are exposed to many varying cultures. From a young age, we have been aware and knowledgeable of the fact that America inhabits many different types of people, so the deportation of an entire group based on their race or religion is not what this country stands for.

An action of an individual from a certain group does not mean that the remaining members of the group have the same intentions. For example, just because there are Mexican drug dealers does not mean that every Mexican participates in that act, much like the fact that because a white person commits a murder does not mean that every white person is a murderer. So the fact that one of our candidates is willing to deport millions of people out of this country due to the actions of the other people in their group is not justified and is not right. Many people come to this country for the opportunity to have a better life for themselves and for their families. In 2014 it was recorded that 1.3 million people moved to the United States. 1.3 million people willing to move out of their homeland and be thrust into a completely different country with many different cultures and languages to have a brighter future. The amount of lives that will be in shambles is incomprehensible and the deportation of groups based on religion or race must not happen.

Immigration is a vital part of America’s history. The majority of the people inhabiting this country are immigrants, whether they be the first generation or the fifth generation. This controversial issue has brought a great divide within this country and we must not allow for this divide to expand. The citizens of America must become united as a people and find a solution to combat this issue.