Cascade P.S. Texas

Why We Must Eliminate Standardized Testing

Persuasive letter to the next President opposing standardized testing.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Imagine a world where teachers fear all year for the one day that their job depends on. Imagine a world where children have nightmares about one test. Look no further. Children and adults alike across the country are suspensefully awaiting the certain doom that we call standardized testing. Mr/Madame President, annihilate this worrisome test because it is proven that it doesn’t help anyone, and is payed for by taxpayers when it’s already a multi-billion dollar companies.

“Most educators do not really understand why a standardized test provides a misleading estimate of a school staff's effectiveness.” wrote ASCD, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Children get very overwhelmed and don’t perform as well as they would on any other test.

While people say that colleges look at these tests to see who makes it in, they could just take a glance at the report cards instead. Many of these arguments are weak and they just want to preserve the tradition of testing.

The companies that make these exams are, a lot of the time, multi-billion dollar companies. CTB Mcgraw-Hill, for example, is one of the richest companies. A lot of their money comes from taxes. After you stop the testing, taxes would be cheaper and you wouldn’t have to continue the annoying procedure of testing.

Imagine a world where people work towards their dreams, rather than one test per year which represents their entire year of academic learning. Many teachers and students alike won’t dread the day where they have to sid down and stay silent for four hours straight. This is why you need to eliminate the poorly thought out idea of standardized testing. Congratulations on becoming president, now remember to fix the great country that we call America.

Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                           Cascade P.S.

Ascd. "Why Standardized Tests Don't Measure Educational Quality." Educational Leadership:Using Standards and Assessments:. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

By Mar. 2002, after a Surge in Testing and the Passing of NCLB, That Figure Dropped to 47%. "Standardized Tests - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"How Standardized Testing Damages Education (Updated July 2012)." The National Center for Fair & Open Testing. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Impact." Texas Business Leadership Council. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Unise, By Veronica. "Pros And Cons Of Standardized Testing." - The Onion. 11 May 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.