Katie M.

Privacy for the Citizens of the United States

NSA has the ability to search through personal electronics, and this thought leaves many citizens uneasy. This action clearly goes against the first and fourth amendment by protruding private information. Is it enough of a reason to intrude on peoples personal life, to search for potential criminals and internal dissent?

Dear future President,

The Presidential election is just around the corner, and the next President of the United States of America will be chosen. As President, it is your duty to protect and push this country to thrive. Our government stays strong and stable because of the foundation it stands on. This foundation is the constitution. In the bill of rights, all citizens are ensured freedom of speech. This is stated in the First Amendment of the Constitution, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.” It states that all residents of the U.S should be granted privacy in their lives and not have to worry about being overlooked by the leaders that pursue the concept of liberty itself. The Fourth Amendment states that all Americans are entitled to the safety of their home, papers, etc. to not be taken without a warrant from the government. It states that all Americans should be granted privacy in their lives and not have to worry about being overlooked by their leaders. A law was passed by President Bush, the terrorist surveillance program, enabling the NSA authorization to intercept and read emails and calls without a warrant. However, the people of this country do not feel comfortable knowing that someone may know their secret information.

About two decades ago, the government denied the fact that it was possible for them to read personal emails. The process of the email searching used to require a warrant. It also can allow the NSA to access any personal email of anyone in the country. That can be a scary thought to most people. This clearly violates the Fourth Amendment's protection against unreasonable searches, if there is no reason as to why they are looking through a person’s information. Although this can help the government find potential criminals and terrorists, is it enough of a reason to protrude on personal lives? There has to be a better way to find these offenders without doing this unwanted action. If the NSA had to get a warrant through court every time a search through private electronics was needed, maybe people would feel more safe and accept that the government is only using this privilege for the good. While in court, they also would have to bring a certain amount of evidence. It may make people understand more and they will not feel violated and have negative feelings towards the government.

Sincerely, Katie Miller