Katie and Olivia

Global Warming

We have a letter about global warming and all the damage it can cause, and then we have a picture we created about global warming.

Congrats on being the new president! I know that when you step into your office for the first time, they are going to be many issues and concerns that are on your mind, but I’m really hoping that global warming is going to be one of them. Global warming is something that is severe in our world right now, and it is continuing to get worse. I believe that we need to find solutions for global warming and get rid of it altogether.

Global warming occurs when Carbon Dioxide (Co2) and other pollutants collect in the atmosphere and absorb sunlight and solar radiation that have bounced off the Earth’s surface. Over the past fifty years, the average global temperature has increased at the fastest rate in recorded history, and all but one of the 16 hottest years have occurred since 2000 (MacMillan). Scientists say that unless we stop global warming emissions, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and other harmful gases, the average U.S. temperatures could increase by up to 10 degrees Fahrenheit over the next century (“Global Warming”). Scientists agree that the Earth’s rising temperatures are fueling longer and hotter heat waves, more frequent droughts, heavier rainfall, and more powerful hurricanes (MacMillan).

Now you’re probably like, ok, that’s a lot of facts, but what does any of it mean? Here are five problems we could face if global warming continues:

Disruption of habitats such as coral reefs and Alpine meadows could drive many plant and animal species to extinction.

Forests, farms, and cities will face troublesome new pests, heat waves, heavy downpours, and increased flooding. All these factors will damage or destroy agriculture or the fish industry.

Rising sea levels will lead to coastal flooding on the Eastern Seaboard, especially in Florida and other areas such as the Gulf of Mexico.

Melting glaciers, early snowmelt, and severe droughts will cause more dramatic water shortages and increase the risk of wildfires in the American Midwest to the American West.

Allergies, asthma, and infectious disease outbreaks will become more common due to increased growth of pollen- producing ragweed, higher levels of air pollution, and the spread of conditions favorable to pathogens and mosquitoes (“Effects”).

Thank you for reading my letter and good luck to being the new president! I hope that you take all of this information into consideration and think about global warming, and how we can find a solution. Below we have a picture we created with the percents of global warming emissions to show you how each country is affected. Thank you and have a nice day!

Katie C. and Olivia C.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ZkkoJPv5Wa7bZhFSxqjL9W05yQDhrNfkTUOmMLENnQY/edit