felipe r. New York

Fossil fuels will be fossils in the future

Energy plants should use renewable natural resources for energy because nonrenewable natural resources are running out and ruining the atmosphere with air pollution while renewable natural resources are more eco friendly and limitless.

Fossil Fuels Will BE Fossils to the Future Natural Resources                                                          

The issue with fossil fuels is causing global warming and destroying natural habitats of many animals and is messing up the food chain. The use of fossil fuels are melting polar ice caps and many animals that live in those habitats are having their home melt right under them. Energy plants should use renewable natural resources for energy because nonrenewable natural resources are running out and ruining the atmosphere with air pollution while renewable natural resources are more eco friendly and limitless.

With the use of fossil fuels the air pollution isn’t the only waste when they’re used. When using the fossil fuels and converting them into energy most of the fossil fuel is lost and is gone forever. “This is extremely wasteful: two-thirds of the energy in fossil fuels is lost in the production and transmission process” (Cromwell 2). The fossil fuels as it is are a limited energy resource and are running out. The government nor the gas companies are doing anything to limit the use to stop them from running out. “Meanwhile, Shell proudly proclaims that it is "focusing [its] energies on developing [renewable energy] solutions" even as its annual reports project fossil fuel growth and depict maps highlighting the global reach of its oil and gas enterprises” (Cromwell 2). The Shell gas company said they are set on creating renewable energy solutions in place of fossil fuels. The charts of the Shell's fossil fuel sold is increasing and the places they're shipping their oil to is also increasing. The gas companies are doing nothing to prevent or find an alternative to fossil fuels and keep wasting them.

The renewable natural resources have a lot of profitable aspects to using them along with the fact that you don’t have to use the fossil fuels such as, “These come in many forms: wind, wave, solar, geothermal, small-scale hydro, and biomass fuels. Some of these are available at every location around the globe” (Hamer 3). One of the profitable aspects of the renewable resources is the fact that there is so many types of it so if anything goes wrong with it you could just use the next one which is equally as good especially solar energy. “Solar energy is especially well suited for heating water, a task that requires 15-20 percent of a home's total energy consumption. Solar water heaters can provide 50-90 percent of that hot water, and their original cost can be recovered through energy bill savings over the course of 4-7 years” (Hamer 2). Solar energy is one of these alternatives and they’re a good investment because they’re cheaper and they work efficiently plus they’re more eco friendly than fossil fuels.

Other people may think that renewable natural resources are too expensive and inefficient when they are used and they’re just inconvenient. These people may believe this because the world has been using the fossil fuels for energy for over a century and because the companies that are producing energy from fossil fuels are doing nothing to change that. However, this is not true because, “In the future, a larger percentage of the world's energy needs will be taken care of by solar devices that harness the heat and light provided by the sun. Solar energy can be used passively to generate heat or be converted directly to electricity by photovoltaic cells” (Hamer 2). The world will rely a lot more on solar energy in the future than it does now and that will reduce the use of fossil fuels because the solar energy will be much more affordable for the middle class society and solar energy devices work very efficiently. Renewable natural resources are a better energy source than fossil fuels for many reason and will be relied on a lot for energy in the future.

The rising climate is the human race’s biggest threat leading to extinction, and the fact that we continuously use fossil fuels which increases those temperatures which causes the polar ice caps to melt and the ozone layer weakens. Meanwhile the renewable natural resources are extremely efficient and they don’t cause the harm that the fossil fuels cause. So think about whether you wanna be on that path of self-destruction by still using fossil fuels or do you want to make a change and start using renewable natural resources, Mr./Mrs. President? 

VS North HS

Italiano/Suarez Per 2

These letters were written by 9th grade students. They spent two weeks researching issues and one week learning how to write an argument letter. This was the first project of this magnitude that they have ever experienced, they learned a lot, and they are very happy to be done! Thank you for reading.