Jonathan D. Texas

No matter what side you’re on, we can all agree that something must be done. We can’t watch these innocents be killed and pretend that guns had no role. The control of guns, is the control of murder.

11/2/2016

Austin, TX

Gun control is a real issue, and should be treated as a priority. Every time a mass shooting happens, people just shrug their shoulders and say it has nothing to do with the weapon of choice. The whole world already has this figured out, but us stubborn Americans won’t put regulations on these easily obtainable machines of death. We need to at least try to gun regulations, it’s worth a shot. Even if it dosen’t work, then pro-gun people get to say “I told you so”.

The United States has the most gun homicides than any other industrial nation. In 2008 Canada has 131 deaths, and the U.S.A has 11,208 deaths. They’re practically the same country due to it’s proximity, but Canadians still feel pretty free. Let me refer to the famous Columbine massacre, in which two students murdered thirteen people at the Columbine High School using easily acquired firearms. School shootings are popping up everywhere because of the availability of firearms. How about we stop giving guns to people with criminal records, or people with mental illnesses. That way be can avoid senseless murder and the death of innocents. But if someone just so mentions these ideas, their immediately panned by people with the same old arguments.

The second amendment has become a maypole for gun lovers, but most people probably don’t even know what is says. The second amendment states: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” It is not an invitation for every redneck to have an arsenal in their backyard, nor is it unlimited access to firearms. People say we shouldn’t bother because criminals will be the only people with guns after gun regulations, but this is poisoned logic. Murderers don’t follow the law, that doesn’t mean we should legalize murder! A common misconception is that we’re just banning guns, but that’s entirely not true, we’re only regulating guns. The point of gun control is to keep dangerous firearms out of the hands of criminals, and people with ill intent. But then criminals will just use another weapon, like knives right? Well there was a recent mass stabbing in Minnesota, only 9 injuries and no deaths. Other mass stabbings haven’t been different.

Jonathan

Cedar Valley Middle School 8th Grade ELA

Mrs. Margulies's Classes

8th grade ELA classes from Cedar Valley High School