Luis F. Texas

Immigration

Immigrant families and the immigration reform

Dear future president . . . 

First of all I'd like to start by saying congrats, you're now our brand new president. Prepare for a load of problems to fix. Now, as a citizen of the United States of America, it is my right to petition for a "redress of grievances" as stated in the first amendment. Here's my grievance; immigrant families are treated very harshly by the majority of the country's population and it needs to stop.

These immigrants each have their reasons to enter foreign areas, even when they're not exactly welcome. Now, if I were an unwelcome immigrant in a region I don't know much about and was at risk of imprisonment or some kind of punishment, then I would have left as soon as possible. However, as many people probably notice and polls prove, a very large chunk of our country is filled with foreigners from various places. You have to wonder why these people are so reluctant to stay with such danger. Through personal encounters with immigrants and interviews among my immigrant relatives, I believe the reasoning behind this is: the possibilities that occur here rather than in their homeland. In Mexico for example, education for the disabled is rather inferior to that of the American country. If I would have been born in any other place than the U.S., this letter would probably never have been made (I'm physically disabled). Immigrants I've known speak of their harsh homeland with very few opportunities for prosperity and jobs. People here complain about immigrants taking all the jobs from natives, however, if the natives of America are not able to achieve these jobs with all the advantages they have from citizenship, how is it that people without these privileges prosper more in the field of employment?

With all this being said I'd like for you to consider your perception of immigrants and the laws that treat them harshly and place yourself in their shoes. Give them opportunity and hope and I can assure you, they will not fail the country.

Galena Park High School

English II

English II students write about their concerns for the upcoming election.