Hailey T. Texas

Legalizing Marijuana

Marijuana can be used medically, it's better than alcohol and cigarettes, and it would give us a boost in our economy.

Dear future president of the united states,

Legalizing marijuana has not been a very big topic in the 2016 election, but that doesn’t mean it’s not important. Most people think the only reason to legalize marijuana is to use it for recreational use, but in most cases, that’s not the main reason why. Marijuana can be used medically, it’s better than alcohol or cigarettes, and the economy would get a boost.

A lot of people think that marijuana is not a “practical drug” for people who are sick to use. In reality it’s probably one of the best drugs to use. Regular drugs are heavy, and sometimes make you feel like there's a dark cloud over your head. A lot of

veterans who struggle with PTSD use those heavy drugs to handle symptoms like “anxiety, sleeplessness, depression, and flashbacks”(Jen Christensen, CNN). For them, marijuana is a good alternative drug.

In many ways, marijuana is way better than any alcohol or cigarette you can buy at the store. “Alcohol use can result in significant and potentially fatal physical withdrawal, whereas marijuana has not been found to produce any symptoms of physical withdrawal. Those who use alcohol are also much more likely to develop dependence and build tolerance” (Short). Alcohol is also one of the many things that people don’t consider as harmful as marijuana. Cigarettes are hard on your lungs because of the smoke. Marijuana on the other hand has many ways to intake it that do not hurt your lungs at all. The chemicals they put inside the tobacco (and paper to wrap it) are terrible for your body, which is why cigarettes can make some people sick. “Cigarettes include things like Arsenic (poison), Butane (lighter fluid), Stearic Acid (candle wax), and Nicotine (insecticide)” (marijuana v.s Cigarettes). Almost all of the things that are put into a cigarette are not meant for your body.

Marijuana is also a good source of money for our economy. Many of our states who have legalized it have gotten a good economy boost. “Colorado, which was one of the first states to legalize marijuana, has already earned millions of dollars tax revenue from pot sales. In January 2014 alone, the state generated nearly $3.5 million tax revenue, and that amount is expected to multiply in 2015. A report from the Marijuana Industry Group (MIG) indicates that an estimate of 10,000 new jobs have been created in Colorado since recreational marijuana sales began.”

Works Cited:

Anderson, Dave. "Top 10 Reasons to Legalize Marijuana." Top 10 Lists ListLandcom. N.p., 07 May 2015. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Christensen, Jen. "10 Diseases Where Medical Marijuana Could Have Impact." CNN. Cable News Network, 16 Apr. 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Marijuana vs Cigarettes." Patients for Medical Cannabis. N.p., 23 Apr. 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Short, April M. "7 Ways Booze Is More Dangerous than Pot." Saloncom RSS. Salon, 21 Aug. 2013. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.