Anthony P. New York

Food Waste In the US

A shocking issue that affects the lives of millions across the country.

I believe it is my duty as a citizen of the United States to express to you my concern on a certain issue within our country. In this particular case, the matter that I am going to discuss is food waste. Food waste contains a great deal of magnitude, and has a very large impact on our country.

In my life, the phrase “the little things matter”, is quite commonly said. I feel that I sometimes overlook the small things that go on in the world and only focus on the larger picture. It's pretty crazy how the things that seem so little can have such an influence on bigger things. This idea can be directly applied to two words: food waste.

In an article by Amrith Ramcumar of Bloomberg, he states that America as a whole wastes roughly one hundred and sixty- billion dollars in food annually. United States citizens throw so much perfectly good food in the trash that twenty-five to forty percent of food, whether it has been grown or processed, gets wasted. This issue, without a doubt, has to change.

One may argue that it’s no big deal, it’s only food and that there is plenty where it came from. To fully understand this issue, you have to see how what seems such a little thing, can impact the American society on a significant level. In this case, that “little thing” happens to be the food wasted, and the “bigger thing” happens to be the less fortunate families who are in need. Based on an article from dosomething.org, forty- nine million Americans struggle to put food on the table. It is not due to a lack of food, but an extensiveness of poverty in our nation.

What should we do? Instead of restaurants throwing away the leftover food they have already cooked, they should donate it to the ones in need. I know it may take some work, but the idea is definitely feasible. Within a community, a kitchen could be developed where all the local restaurants would be able to bring their leftovers each night after they close. These could even be referred to as “Community Kitchens”. The government would articulate a program at either a state or federal level that would enforce these principles. It would be a good place for those in need to come and get the proper nourishment that is necessary for our citizens to get the nutrition they need to maintain a healthy life and be able to go to sleep at night without wondering where or how they are going to get food the next day.

It is up to you as our future President. Don’t you want to be great for all people? The stakes are high, and you have the opportunity right here in front of you to improve the health and quality of life for millions across our country. This matter is in your hands, and it is up to you to make a positive change. I trust that you will.

Anthony