Zeila P. California

Letter to President

As a high school student who comes from hard-working, undocumented people, I am concerned about the solutions that 2016 candidates running for President of the United States stated about immigration.

I am very aware that there are many issues you must think about as a president running a nation. In addition, I am also aware that there must be multiple strategies roaming around in your head, to how to solve these issues. As a citizen whose parents came to this country undocumented, the immigration topic is something very sensitive, yet a necessity to for my ears to hear. However, it is to my concern that one’s pride may contribute to the decisions presidents make.

Growing up, I vaguely paid attention to the sacrifices my parents made in the past and continue to make. It wasn’t until Trump’s comments about Mexican people who come to the US was made that made me want to be more aware of what it means to be brown in this country. 2015 and 2016 has surely impacted Latinos. Being told that there will be 11.3 million undocumented immigrants deported, and being called racist names. Many people standing on my side felt threatened, and wonder what our future holds for us and the next generation. People don’t just leave their home for their own pleasure, but for a need. Latinos are willing to take any job, as long as their make a minimum wage and have shelter, food, and clothes. My people has immensely contributed to the US economy as well.

Considering where you stand as person, don't be fooled by what the 1 percent think should be done in order to make this country a more successful nation. It’s no doubt that they don’t see other’s perspectives, than their own. At the end, we all want to make this country a better home for all.

Best,

Zeila