Lincoln B. Pennsylvania

Are Fossil Fuels Really That Bad?

Fossil fuels aren't as bad as we think, nor is global warming.

The issue I’d like to address is the uses of energy and their effect on global warming. I think that the world should keep using energy sources that are efficient. Some of these sources include coal, gas, oil, nuclear, and many more. Although environmentalists say that these resources are causing global warming, what they say is backed up with weak arguments. There has been an ongoing study by the scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) that is off to discover if global warming is actually real or just a false statement by the world’s environmentalists. As it turns out, the average temperature of the Earth has changed by only 1.53º F from 1880 to 2012. That is an approximate average temperature of 0.01159º F every year. So, is the Earth really warming up as fast as you think? I’m not denying that global warming is happening, don’t get me wrong. All I’m trying to say is that we as humans aren’t the primary cause for it.

There is a good chance that the warming of the Earth is all natural. Ro Kinzler, a geologist and director at the National Center for Science, Literacy, Education, and Technology says, “We are most likely in an ‘ice age’ now. So, in fact, the last ice age hasn’t ended yet.” We could be coming out of this last ice age, which explains why the Earth is slowly warming up.

Although we are putting loads of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere, there is a chance that it’s making such a small difference that it’s not even noticeable. Also, Carbon dioxide is very helpful to the environment. All living plants need it as an element of photosynthesis. Besides, why is the Earth’s warming up such a bad thing? There are probably just as many good outcomes than bad ones. An example of a good outcome is that all the places too cold for agriculture will be able to be cultivated. Just think, all of Russia could be a farm space. Think of the world hunger that could be avoided and the diversity of food that could be produced. One of the biggest scare factors of global warming is that water levels will rise 30 feet or more. The truth is, changes like these don’t just happen overnight. It would take hundreds, maybe thousands of years for the levels of water to rise that much. With that much time, it’s almost guaranteed that we will be able to cope with these small changes each year.

So I propose that we continue to use the efficient power sources available. This power is very cheap and cost effective. The much more expensive alternatives aren’t very reliable and powers like solar and wind aren’t very efficient at all. We can’t rely on the weather to give us power. Fossil fuels will keep burning and creating energy no matter what. This guarantees the power that is needed constantly by consumers will be there. What do you think? Do you agree?