Logan Indiana

Climate Change

This letter explains why the Keystone XL Pipeline should not be installed and how it will impact climate change.

October 27th, 2016

Dear Presidential Candidate,

“The United States and Canada are crisscrossed by thousands of miles of oil and gas pipelines, but none have drawn the attention and political controversy of Keystone XL.” I believe that climate change is a major issue in the economy and the world. Dealing with this situation will greatly impact the earth and the lives yet to come. I believe that climate change is created by man and should be dealt with by man. Using easier and more environmentally friendly ways to create clean energy. One of these ways that the government have considered is installing the Keystone XL Pipeline.

Incidentally, using the Keystone Pipeline is not one of those ways I believe are to be used. Installing this pipeline will greatly increase the effects of climate change. The US Environmental Protection Agency justifies the fact that the Keystone Pipeline has a high chance of being environmentally damaging by potentially spilling into the Ogallala aquifer and even the Missouri River. The pipeline also takes on territorial issues where the southerners must let the government install this pipeline without there permission and/or consent. On the other hand, a majority of people believe that the pipeline would create thousands of jobs and offer safer transport options for oils. At the same time, the amount of fuel and energy need to sustain the pipeline would still contribute to climate change nearly as much as transporting the oils through other transportation options.

In addition, I oppose that the United States uses clean renewable energy and doesn’t make use of the Keystone XL Pipeline. To instead use renewable energy sources in a higher percentage every year to slowly stop global warming/climate change from worsening. This will greatly impact the cost and efficiency of these clean energy actions. To have this law passed in the House of Representatives, I will have signed petitions with more than 100,000 votes disagreeing with the installation of the pipeline. Have them agree and send the bill onto the senate. I will then give the senate several factual reasons how not installing the pipeline will greatly decrease global warming then with it installed. Along with territorial feedback on the southern states that it impacts. Lastly, after both agree with my law they will have the president sign off on the bill and create the law.

In conclusion, I believe that climate change is a major issue in the economy and the world. Dealing with this situation will greatly impact the earth and the lives yet to come. I oppose that the United States uses clean renewable energy and doesn’t make use of the Keystone XL Pipeline. To instead use renewable energy sources in a higher percentage every year to slowly stop global warming/climate change from worsening. I will get this law passed by having both the House of Representatives and Senate agree with by bill so that it is signed off by the president. Making this change will save a lot of time and energy in installing a pipeline that has a high possibility of contributing to climate change. This one change could save our earth for your and our future children and family to enjoy.

Logan

Age 14

8th grade

Towles New Tech

Fort Wayne, Indiana