NaJayah C.

College Debt

My letter to the next president is about college tuition and it's about how we can help the government to fund colleges.

If you had a child or children or even yourself, is going to college and you want to be a doctor. You want to go to Princeton University and Princeton cost 80,000 per trimester. Your going to wanna know why tuition is so high. In America their are over a billion colleges too, but reasoning behind people not going to college is because it cost to much. People that are in charge of colleges don’t see this perspective. The government isn’t really helping either because they spend a lot of money on unnecessary things, but the government “all of a sudden” doesn’t have money to fund colleges. While raising tuition for college, people would have to take out loans to go to colleges and get an education, so they can get a higher paying job. But they can’t do that without a college education. The average amount of debt per student was $30,100.(Lindsay F)

60 to 70 percent of community college students have to take at least one remedial course, 40% of students are at a public 4 year institution. Two year students from the top income quartile didn’t do much better (42%). An average low income student and an average student is affected because they are told college is free and, apply and there turned down because of income. Unable to raise additional revenue through tuition increase (Andrew. P Kelly). In America, this doesn’t just affect low income students, it also affects families too because they have to give up on opportunity to go to college. This could affect Americans economic society, by people not being able to afford college, so their won’t be anymore educated doctors or lawyers.

50% of all graduates with a bachelor's degree don't have a stable job for at least a year, forcing the college debt to increasingly rise(Allanah Nelligan). This statistic means that if college tuition keeps rising no one will be able to go to college because it costs to much. By 2021 families with income up to $125,000 will pay no tuition at in-state four-year public colleges and universities… every student from a family making $85,000 a year or less will be able to go to an in-state four-year public college or university without paying tuition (Allanah Nelligan). I think that the government should see the perspective of an average college student. The government spends money on unnecessary things and they can't afford to fund colleges and/or give colleges money they need for financial aid or land expansion.

If a college say a parent is able to work at the college for 1 year or 2. Then their child or children would be able to go their for free. Some low income students in high school, could talk to a counselor at the school and let them know, they are working hard to get into college, but they can’t afford college tuition. Mr. or Mrs. future president can you please tell the government to stop spending money on unnecessary things. So the government can fund colleges and low income students can go for free.