Andrew Pennsylvania

Solar Panels Over Fossil Fuels

Solar panels can be much more effective than fossil fuels. We need to make a greater effort to convert our energy to something that does not harm the environment.

The energy that most of the world currently uses is harmful to the environment in a myriad of ways. The National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine stated that 81% of the total energy used in the United States is from fossil fuels. In addition to that, fossil fuels are not renewable. Environmentamerica.org also adds the gargantuous amount of money we spend on fossil fuels yearly. In 2007, America spent over $360,000,000,000 on importing energy alone! National debt is now stacking to 16.394 trillion dollars, and the cost of energy plays a decent role in that amount. Solar panels, however, will decrease the cost and pollution that we have. Solar panels can cost only a couple thousand dollars for a home, and all together the panels would cost much less than oil and coal. For example, solar panels may cost the price of oil and coal for one year, but they only need to be bought once. I believe that this new type of energy will have lasting effects of decrease in cost, and it will help save the environment as well. The environment is struggling from all of the pollution, and we must make more of an effort to preserve it.

Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Grade 8 Challenge

Letters written by students in the Grade 8 Challenge Seminar at BCMS