Justin Michigan

College Tuition

The price increase of college tuition is getting out of hand and the consequences are fallacious.

The argument over college tuition is quite a simple one. There are the banks and schools who want to profit off putting students in debt, and there are the families that can not afford to put their kids through a college education. But when you really look at the situation, it appears that it is affecting the total workforce of the future. At the current rate of the tuition price increasing above the inflation rate, at about a 15% overall increase per 5 years, the average student will be forced to look for other means of education in the future. Although many people may see this as a flaw, I think that we can both agree that we are headed in the right direction.

Essentially, this means that the future could hold no school at all. After everyone drops out of college because they become so broke with student loans piling up that they are forced to live on the street, the idea of high school and lower levels of schooling will probably seem pointless too. Now, I think we are on the same page here, that means no more homework! Young students will no longer be stressing about the playground bully, high schoolers will no longer have to worry about standardized tests and best of all, kids can join the workforce right after preschool. This future seems almost flawless, but it gets even better.

Because of all the kids joining the workforce with absolutely no qualifications, fast food places will finally be packed with staff and you won’t have to wait in line forever at a drive through window. In addition, we can basically assume that all the kids will be safe in almost any workplace because of the excellent labor laws put into place, this means parents can send their kids off for the whole day to have fun and bring home some money-like daycare, but even better. Some people may argue that taking out the whole future of the workforce in any field requiring qualifications is not the best idea, but who are they kidding, they can’t really predict the future.

The skeptics may also point out a few solutions, but they are easily proven wrong. First of all, anyone who claims that scholarships should be given so that the people who have proven themselves to be intelligent can continue on in their learning to better the workforce and advance society is wrong. Why? Because it happens to be 2016 and that kind of discrimination is not allowed. Others who say that community colleges should be free so that students can save up for a university while still learning are also wrong. You see, then the loan officers at the banks would be losing business because students would actually be able to pay their tuition more efficiently and possibly might not even need a loan. With those facts, it is clear that these solutions are not the option.

One might ask where the extra money is going since faculty salaries have risen almost 0% in relation to the inflation rate. One might inquire about the athletic programs benefit from tuition money. One might wonder if the business aspect of college should really be prioritized as high as it currently is. One might ask all of these questions, but thankfully because of the merit and the prestige of the colleges and their members in today’s society, they can go unanswered.

I trust that you will successfully end the dreaded days of school for kids all across America. If this letter has not made it clear enough, the cost of tuition at colleges should stay at the steady increase, if not rise, because getting students out of school and straight into the nearest McDonalds is priority one. I thank you for your future services and I hope that my message is well received.

Justin Flood

Oakland Writing Project (Michigan) - CASA

CASA - AP Lang

9th-12th grade students who come from 3 different schools.