Jonase T. Washington

Polluting the Mind will Pollute the Land

The lack of attention towards the pollution the environment will harm Humans race in the long run.

Dear Future President of the United States of America,

Politicians and corporations are lacking empathy for the people who are living in areas that are unstable living conditions due to the pollution of the area. Pollution is the action of making air, land and water unsafe to use or go near to.It’s increasing throughout the environment and is getting worse because of nuclear leaks and infection in major bodies of water. The only planet human beings could live on is Earth and we're destroying it so much to the point of it being uninhabitable.

In an article for Washington Department of Ecology, 3,500 gallons of nuclear waste leak at Washington State storage site. Mike Geffre,Instrument Technician at Washington River Protection Solutions states, "This is probably the biggest event to ever happen in tank farm history. The double shell tanks were supposed to be the saviors of all saviors,”. These storages aren’t meant to be leaked, but 3500 gallons escaped within 2 days. I highly doubt The problem occurred at the double-wall storage tank AY-102, which has actually been leaking since 2011. There’s a chance that some of that nuclear waste could go in water supplies and people would be exposed to radiation and this will result in people getting exposed to many terrifying diseases. The worse part about this situation is that there’s barely any coverage about this incident when there’s someone who works to protect Washington’s river’s, is saying how much this incident is a tragedy.

People living in the U.S are affected by the pollution of the environment in their daily life. According to a class-action lawsuit, the state Department of Environmental Quality wasn't treating the Flint River water with an anti-corrosive agent, in violation of federal law. Therefore, the water was eroding the iron water mains, turning water brown. If anyone drinks the Flint water, then many diseases will affect the body. Some of the civilians have permanent effects from the lead poisoning because politicians inability to put the people’s safety first. Now Flint is basically a sewer city.

The climate changes are ruining countries to develop since its economy is based on the ecosystem. In a website called Cleaner and greener, shows that, “Entire economies suffer when the water levels of Africa’s huge rivers drop. Ghana, for example, has become totally reliant on the hydro-electric output of the Akosombo dam on the river Volta. Mali is depend on the river and also Niger for food, water and transport. However, rivers are facing environmental devastation as a result of pollution. In Nigeria,half the population has no access to clean water,”. Corporations and politicians are brushing the fact that their actions are inhumanly affecting 3rd world countries development and the needs of life. The pollution is coming from 1st world build factories that stems out pollution the air. That air is starting to Those people in Nigeria are having a water crisis because of someone else’s actions. Do you think that’s fair that someone else has to deal with the choices from others? If climate change keeps going in Africa, then more and more people will be unable to get access to clean water since it’s dried up or turn dirty.

What made me passionate about this issue was that I saw a video of what if humans were gone on this Earth (What Would happen if Humans Disappeared), which showed the earth thriving without no form of human life. No Human life would be beneficial for earth and other creatures because our pollution to the air and the water caused death and low life expectancy of animals. Centuries later, all the buildings collapsed. More centuries later, entire towns and cities will be covered with vegetables. Basically, nature will be covering all the unnatural, man-made things that humans have made, and it'll be as if humans didn't exist at all. After watching the video, I realize that the Earth could remove the filth we left and perfectly continue its operations as a planet. However, humans only have one home and that is Earth, but we carelessly damage it. Polluting the planet will only make the planet unusable for us to the point that humanity can’t thrive or even survive. Our actions have consequences and the Earth will just erase us if we keep abusing the planet.

As stated earlier, our insolence towards the environment will only foresee Humanity’s doom. I urge you to promote the usage of solar energy and usage of technology that doesn’t pollute the air, which cause cleaner air meaning that less chances of catching a deadly disease . Solar energy/renewable will mean no chances of land being destroyed due to human error. Also, enforce that the people who are responsible of the Flint water crisis should be the ones to repair and clean the water supply. Please future President, take consideration towards Pollution because it’s not just for the Earth’s environment, but for the fate of Mankind.

Jonase 

Foster High School

Gamboa 6th period Civics

6th period Civics and Current Events taught by Ms. Gamboa.